These delicious Air Fryer Turkey Burgers are easy, healthy, and quick! You can have this low-carb, low-calorie meal ready in under 20 minutes.
Turkey Burger Recipe
Turkey burgers, the healthier alternative to beef burgers, are like the middle child of the burger family. They’re not as popular as beef burgers, but they’re not as ignored as veggie burgers. They’re like the Goldilocks of burgers… Not too greasy, not too dry, but just right. The lean meat acts as a great blank canvas; you just have to know how to treat it!
Turkey burgers naturally have a lower fat content than beef burgers, so they can dry out or fall apart easier. There’s a trick, though–Just add your own fat! For this recipe, we use mayonnaise (adds moisture and helps bind things together) to ensure your burger is absolutely delicious.
Make it low-carb by wrapping it with iceburg lettuce or putting it between two chaffles instead of a bun! Add all your favorite toppings (we loaded ours with pickles, tomato, lettuce, mayo, and red onions), then enjoy! It’s a healthier burger you can enjoy any time!
Ingredients for the BEST turkey burgers
Here’s a quick overview of what you’ll need for this recipe. Scroll down to the printable recipe card for exact measurements.
- Ground turkey – Aim for a ground turkey that is about 90% lean. If you go for something even leaner, the burgers will have a harder time staying together, and it’ll be easier to overcook the burgers. You could easily use ground chicken in this recipe instead, if you prefer!
- Mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, and Worcestershire sauce – The mayonnaise adds fat which will help bind the burger together. These ingredients also add flavor and moisture, helping us to achieve that juicy burger we want.
- Minced garlic, Salt, and Pepper – This is all about flavor. If you are sensitive to these, you can leave them out.
- You will likely want a bun (low-carb swap: keto chaffles or iceberg lettuce for wrapping), lettuce, tomato slices, red onions, pickles, bacon, or your other favorite burger toppings.
How to Make Air Fryer Turkey Burgers
This is a simple, healthy dinner that comes together in a flash. You’ll just need a mixing bowl and an air fryer for this easy recipe!
Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl, then gently combine. DO NOT OVERMIX. You want to mix it together just until ingredients are all incorporated as overmixing will result in tough, chewy burgers.
Split the meat into four equal sections, then gently pat each into its own burger patty. Make sure each patty is about the same thickness and shape so that you get an even cook on each.
Preheat air fryer to 360 degrees for 3 minutes. I know many air fryers claim you don’t need to preheat them, but I promise letting it warm up for just a few minutes will result in better burgers!
Add the burgers to the air fryer and cook for 7 minutes. Flip, then continue cooking an additional 5 minutes or until burger is cooked throughout. It should reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F for a safe, fully-cooked burger.
To make this a cheeseburger, simply add 1 slice of cheese to each patty immediately after cooking, then close the air fryer without turning it on. The residual heat inside the air fryer and in the patties will help melt the cheese within a minute or two.
NOTE: Do not turn the air fryer on with the cheese slices in it. If you do, the air causes the cheese to slide right off your burger!
What to serve with Turkey Burgers
We love to offer a variety of toppings; some are healthy like tomato, lettuce, pickles, avocado, and onions, but some are a bit less healthy like candied bacon, more mayonnaise, or extra cheese. This creamy jalapeno sauce is the perfect spread to add some moisture and spice!
Place all of this on a bun, or you could use two keto chaffles or a lettuce wrap to keep it low-carb. Serve with sweet potato fries (or frozen fries for a super easy night), tots, or onion rings for the perfect burger joint meal at home.
Low-carb sides for burgers:
- Crispy Keto Fries
- Bacon Cheddar Cauliflower Tots
- Keto Pretzel Bites with Cheese Sauce
- Keto Jalapeno Poppers
- Ranch Zucchini Chips
Allow the turkey burgers to cool to room temperature, then place in an airtight container. Store in the fridge up to four days.
Can I freeze turkey burgers?
For the best taste and texture, it’s best to freeze turkey burgers before cooking them. Simply season the meat, shape into patties, then place on a baking sheet or plate in the freezer. Allow them to freeze for 2 hours, then transfer to a freezer bag. They’re best cooked and eaten within 3 months – Just thaw overnight in the fridge before cooking as directed.
How to reheat turkey burgers without drying them out
When reheating turkey burgers, you have to be careful — The patties are already super lean, so you don’t want to dry them out. Here are tips to keeping your burgers juicy no matter your reheating method of choice:
- Microwave – Place burgers on a microwave-safe plate, and cover with a damp paper towel. Reheat on 50% power in 1-minute increments, flipping the burgers after each blast.
- Oven – Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Wrap 1-2 turkey patties and 1 teaspoon of water in aluminum foil, then place on the rack in the oven. Allow it to reheat for 10-15 minutes.
- Air Fryer – Use the oven method described above, but preheat air fryer just 3 minutes and reheat patties for about 5 minutes.
- Skillet – Heat 1/2 tablespoon of oil or butter in a skillet on medium heat. Add patties (however many will fit in a single layer, preferably with some space between each patty), then place a lid on the skillet. Allow it to cook 3-4 minutes on each side, adding additional oil/butter for the second side if the pan looks dry.
If you like this healthy recipe, you’ll love these easy dinners!
- Air Fryer Chicken & Mushrooms – This quick dinner recipe has the tender meat and veggies covered in a delicious butter sauce that ensures everything is nice and juicy!
- Shrimp Tacos – Yummy! Shrimp cook so quickly in the air fryer, it’s easy to throw these delicious tacos together in no time! It’s healthy and perfect for topping with salsa, guacamole, and more!
- Turkey Soup – If you love a chance to enjoy a lean protein in a decadent way, this healthy soup is perfect for you! Though it’s creamy and delicious, there’s not even a bit of dairy in it!
- Big Mac Salad – You won’t even miss the bun when you top this quick salad with the delicious copycat big mac sauce as a salad dressing! It’s an easy way to enjoy the flavors you love in a healthy way.
- Chicken and Broccoli Skillet – This one pan dinner can’t get any easier! There’s a surprising amount of flavor in this quick, low-carb recipe.
Turkey Burger FAQs
These turkey burger patties are great for a keto diet! Each one has just 1.1 net carbs. To keep them low-carb, serve them on keto chaffles, on a salad, or wrapped with iceburg lettuce.
Turkey burgers often fall apart because they’re so lean. Fat helps bind ingredients together, and the lean protein has very little. We add mayonnaise to help our burgers stay together. Also, make sure you do not overmix the seasonings into the meat–Overworked turkey will become even drier, making it more likely to fall apart or dry out.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Add the ingredients to a large mixing bowl and gently combine. Be sure not to overmix as it will result in a tough, chewy burger.
- Once the ingredients are throughly combined pat into 4 burger patties.
- Preheat the air fryer to 360 degrees F for 3 minutes.
- Add the burgers to the preheated air fryer and cook 7 minutes. Once the cooking time has completed flip the burgers and cook an additional 5 minutes or until they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. To make a cheeseburger add 1 slice of cheese to each patty and close the air fryer without turning it on. Allow the patty to sit 1 minute and the cheese will melt from the residual heat in the air fryer.
Serving Size:1 burger patty (does not include toppings or bun)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 197Total Fat: 11.3gCholesterol: 79.7mgSodium: 452.7mgCarbohydrates: 1.2gNet Carbohydrates: 1.1gFiber: 0.1gSugar: 0.5gProtein: 22.4g