These Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries are an easy, delicious, and healthier alternative to traditional French fries. These sweet potato fries only require a few ingredients and can be ready in 20 minutes or less!
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
These Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries are a crispy, delicious side to go with your next burger or sandwich. Whether you’re looking for a healthier alternative to traditional French fries or looking for a quicker, easier way to prepare sweet potato fries, this recipe is a great option! These Sweet Potato Fries cooked in an air fryer don’t just pair well with fries or a sandwich. They are also great when toppings are added directly over the fries such as chili or breakfast sausage and eggs.
Using an air fryer is a time-saving and significantly healthier method of preparing fries compared to the traditional method of deep-frying your fries. An air fryer dramatically reduces the number of calories by reducing the amount of oil absorbed by the fries. The air fryer also provides some additional benefits to baking your sweet potato fries. Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries are crispier and are cooked quicker than if baked.
Ingredients for Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- Sweet Potatoes: You will need two large sweet potatoes (about 1.5 lbs)
- Cooking Oil: This will help spices adhere to the fries and also increase the crispiness of the fries. Olive oil or avocado oil are the healthiest and tastiest options for this dish but vegetable oil will also work well.
- Spices: Salt to taste is sufficient to provide great flavor. You can also add a seasoning mix if there was one you really enjoy. We love this cajun seasoning.
- Corn Starch: The corn starch absorbs excess moisture and ensures the fries become crisp
How to Make Sweet Potato Fries in the Air Fryer
In addition to the ingredients listed above you will need a mixing bowl to mix the ingredients. To make this Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries follow this guide:
Cut the Fries
First, peel the sweet potatoes. Next, cut up your sweet potatoes into long, thin slices. The thinner you cut them the crispier the fries will be. The fries will also shrink a small amount while cooking. Cut your slices slightly longer than what you would like for them to be. Just remember to cut them as uniformly as possible so they cook the same.
Add the Cooking Oil
Place your fries in a mixing bowl. Then add about 2 tablespoons of cooking oil. It is important the fries do not get too saturated with oil. Mix well using your hands or a spatula. They should be thinly coated but there should not be a lot of excess oil on the fries or the fries will not turn out crispy.
Add the Cornstarch and Spices
Add about 2 tablespoons of cornstarch. Mix well using your hands or a spatula. The cornstarch helps to absorb moisture and create a crispy, crunchy exterior! If you skip the cornstarch your fries will have great flavor, but they will not be very crispy. Next, add salt to taste. If you prefer flavored fries I have a spice blend included with the recipe card that features garlic powder, salt, pepper, and paprika. If there is a specific seasoning you really enjoy, this could be used as an alternative.
Preheat the air fryer for 2-3 minutes at 380 F. Remember, air fryers are just like ovens, you need to preheat the machine so your food cooks correctly. Once preheated add the fries in a single layer (this may take batches) cook fries for 6 minutes and flip/stir fries well. Cook another 5-6 minutes. Remember, there are several factors that will impact the cooking time, including how thickly you slice your fries, and how crowded your air fryer is.
Serve the fries immediately with additional salt to taste. As the fries cool they will become less crisp, so dig in! Sweet Potato Fries are fantastic when paired with a delicious sandwich or burger, or a great alternative is to add toppings directly over the fries. Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries can be a great option for any meal when paired well. The recipes below are our recommendations:
- Keto Jalapeno Popper Burgers: Juicy burgers loaded with creamy jalapeño popper filling and served on crispy chaffle buns!
- Chicken Bacon Wrap: This Chicken Bacon Wrap is the perfect easy lunch! Ready in just minutes and packed with protein, this easy keto wrap will keep you going all day long!
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders: Perfectly crispy with a parmesan cheese crust! Keto, low-carb, gluten free and easy to meal prep for an easy weeknight meal.
- Bacon Breakfast Tacos: Simple, delicious, and super filling! Crunchy bacon, fluffy eggs, and creamy avocado make the best breakfast recipe.
- Bacon Cheeseburger Quesadilla: All the flavor of a loaded burger with minimal effort! If using a low carb tortilla, each Cheeseburger Quesadilla can be made keto-friendly and is about 6 net carbs per serving!
- Bacon, Ham, and Egg Wrap with Honey Dijon Sauce: A hearty breakfast or lunch wrap that your whole family will love!
Toppings for Sweet Potato Fries
- Crockpot Crack Chicken: Just six ingredients and is always a hit at parties! This easy chicken recipe is loaded with ranch, bacon and cheese, making it perfect for salads, wraps, sandwiches and more!
- Easy Keto Chili (low carb + no bean chili): Features tons of meat, peppers, spices and tomatoes! At about 8 net carbs per serving this low carb, no bean chili will become a family favorite!
- Instant Pot BBQ Chicken (low carb): Just five simple ingredients and less than 15 minutes of cook time! Try my favorite pulled chicken recipe on a salad or wrap, less than 3 net carbs per quarter-pound!
- Chorizo Breakfast Scramble: The ultimate low carb, breakfast! Each generous serving has just 5 net carbs and is loaded with spicy chorizo, peppers, onions, eggs and cheese!
- Slow Cooker Zesty Ranch Chicken: Juicy, spicy, and as easy as it gets. It takes 5 minutes of prep work, and the slow cooker does the rest!
Storing and Reheating
These fries are best enjoyed fresh. If you have leftovers store them in an airtight container in the fridge. To rewarm these fries preheat the air fryer to 380 for 3 minutes. Add the fries to the air fryer and cook 2 minutes, toss and cook 2 more minutes if needed until crisp.
Tips for the Best Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- Do not over-saturate the fries with oil. Fries should be thinly coated with oil. There should not be a lot of excess oil on the fries or the fries will not turn out crispy.
- Ensure you toss fries well after the first 6 minutes. This will ensure the fries are crispy and cooked evenly.
- Don’t overcrowd the fries in the air fryer. This will keep the fries from becoming crispy. If you have a smaller air fryer you may need to cook multiple batches rather than overfilling which will lead to fries that aren’t crispy
- The thinner the fries are cut the crispier the fries.
- Cut your fries slightly longer than you would like for them to be as they will slightly shrink while cooking.
- Remove the fries from the air fryer and serve immediately. Otherwise, the steam can start to soften the fries.
Sweet Potato Fries FAQ
Yes. Preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees. Add the frozen sweet potato fries to the air fryer and spritz lightly with oil. Cook the fries for 6 minutes at 390 degrees and then shake, or flip the fries. Cook the fries for an additional 6-7 minutes until it reaches your desired crispness.
Canola oil or vegetable oil will work fine but we prefer olive oil or avocado oil. Avocado and olive oil are both healthier options and provide a richer flavor.
Yes. If you use your preference of seasoning mix check the label to ensure it does not have any gluten-containing ingredients.
Bake the fries in the oven at 400 degrees F. Cook the fries for 10 minutes, flip, and cook an additional 10-15 minutes until they reach your desired crispness.
Air Fryer Potato Recipes
- Air Fryer Baked Potato: absolute perfection!
- Crispy Baby Potatoes: crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside!
- Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes: perfect with butter and brown sugar!
- How to Make Air Fryer Frozen Fries: the ultimate guide for all sorts of cuts!
- Breakfast Potatoes: truly, these are anytime potatoes, but you get the idea.
- 2 Large Sweet Potatoes (about 1.5 lbs)
- 2 Tablespoons Cooking Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Corn Starch
- Salt to Taste
- OPTIONAL SPICE BLEND:
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Cut sweet potatoes into long, thin slices. The thinner you cut them the crispier the fries will be.
2. Place fries in a mixing bowl. Then add about 2 tbsp of cooking oil. Mix well using your hands or a spatula. They should be thinly coated but there should not be a lot of excess oil on the fries or the fries will not turn out crispy.
3. Add cornstarch and salt to taste. Mix well using your hands or a spatula.
5. Preheat the air fryer for 2-3 minutes at 380 F. Then cook fries in a SINGLE LAYER for 6 minutes and flip/stir fries well. Cook another 5-6 minutes. (depending on the size of your air fryer you will need to do this in batches).
Serving Size:1/4 of the recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 132Total Fat: 7gSodium: 327mgCarbohydrates: 17gNet Carbohydrates: 14gFiber: 3gSugar: 2.8gProtein: 1.1g