These Keto Jalapeno Poppers are loaded with two kinds of cheese and wrapped in pepper bacon! This easy low carb appetizer can be made in the oven, on the grill or in the air fryer!
Jalapeno Poppers have always been a favorite in our house. In the summer when our garden is loaded with huge, fresh jalapeños we often have a small batch to enjoy as a side dish or pre-dinner appetizer. There is something so perfect about spicy, tender jalapeños loaded with cheese and wrapped in crispy bacon!
The good news is, this is the ultimate keto appetizer! You can easily make jalapeño poppers low carb, keto-friendly and gluten free with no real substitutions! Pair with a garden salad or our favorite Crispy Zucchini Fries for a complete meal! For more summer recipes, check out these 30+ Low Carb Cookout Recipes!
What is the filling in Jalapeno Poppers?
You might have seen jalapeño poppers made a variety of ways, but it almost certainly consisted of a cheesy filling. This recipe features shredded cheddar cheese, cream cheese, spices, Worcestershire sauce and green onions.
How to make Jalapeno Poppers
This recipe is so simple. You will need to follow three basic steps to make the perfect keto-friendly jalapeño poppers! First, wash and slice your jalapeño peppers. Carefully remove the seeds and membrane from the pepper. Be careful not to use your hands or touch your face as you do this!
Next, combine the filling ingredients in a mixing bowl and place a heaping spoonful into each seeded jalapeño half. Make sure to spread the filling down the whole pepper, but do not overfill as the peppers shrink while cooking and the filling expands.
Lastly, wrap a section of bacon around each popper and secure with a toothpick as needed. Bake, grill or air fryer until the bacon is crisp! Be sure to read my tips and tricks below for the best methods!
What kind of bacon do you use with Jalapeno Poppers?
This is really down to personal preference. I use pepper bacon because I love the extra zip it adds to the poppers, but regular bacon will work just fine. The thing to note about the bacon is thick cut verses thin.
Thin cut bacon is preferable, as it cooks quicker. However, if you have thick cut bacon on hand simply take the slice of bacon and gently stretch it (be careful not to tear), then slice the bacon in half and wrap around each popper.
Tips and Tricks for the Best Keto Jalapeno Poppers
- Most importantly, be careful when slicing and deseeding the jalapeños! It is best to use gloves and take great care not to touch your eyes or nose when working with jalapeño seeds.
- Do not overstuff the filling, remember it will expand and the peppers will shrink.
- Use thin slice bacon if you have it. If you don’t gently stretch your thick cut bacon before cutting and wrapping around your pepper.
- If you wrap the bacon seam side down you may not need a toothpick, but feel free to use them if you think you need to in order to keep the bacon secure.
Other Keto Appetizers
- 6 large fresh jalapeño peppers, sliced in half and seeded
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 6 slices bacon (see notes below)
- Carefully slice the peppers. Remove the seeds and membranes from the pepper and discard. Be careful not to touch your eyes while working with the peppers.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the cream cheese, shredded cheddar, green onions, worcestershire, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Place a spoonful of the filling in each pepper slice.
- Wrap half a slice of bacon around each popper and secure with toothpicks.
Oven Method: Place on a baking sheet and bake 400 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until the bacon is crisp.
Air Fryer Method: Place in the basket of an air fryer and cook at 390 degrees F for 8-10 minutes until the bacon is crisp. Depending on the size of the air fryer you may need to do this in batches.
Grill: Heat a grill to medium high heet (about 400 degrees F) Place the poppers on the grill and reduce the heat to medium (between 350-375 degrees F) and cook for 15-20 minutes until the bacon is crisp.
- Thin cut bacon is preferable, as it cooks quicker. However, if you have thick cut bacon on hand simply take the slice of bacon and gently stretch it (be careful not to tear), then slice the bacon in half and wrap around each popper
- I used pepper bacon in this recipe, but you can use your favorite variety.
Serving Size:3 Jalapeno Poppers
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 353Total Fat: 31gCholesterol: 74mgSodium: 489mgCarbohydrates: 3.4gNet Carbohydrates: 2.7gFiber: 0.7gSugar: 1.7gProtein: 11.4g