Enjoy a simple, low-carb meal in less than 20 minutes with this easy Air Fryer Chicken and Mushrooms! The amazing garlic butter sauce ensures every piece is super juicy.
Air Fryer Chicken and Mushrooms
This delicious Air Fryer Chicken and Mushrooms is perfect for a busy weeknight or a day of meal prepping. Each bite of tender meat and veggies is covered in a lick-your-lips good garlic sauce, too. This recipe is low-carb and makes the perfect easy keto dinner. You won’t feel like you’re missing a thing!
Why you’ll love it:
- Great for beginners – This is a very forgiving recipe! Chicken breast can dry out if you overcook it, so we keep the cooking time short and cover the whole thing with a buttery sauce. This means everything stays nice and juicy!
- Healthy meal prep – Each serving of this has 244 calories, 3.3 net carbs, and 27.9 g of protein. You can easily adjust the amounts of meat and veggies to meet your nutrition goals. This recipe works with a keto, paleo, or Whole30 diet, too.
- Quick and convenient – There isn’t a long ingredient list, and it’s easy to throw this together in less than 30 minutes. Ingredients can be prepped ahead of time to make a quicker dinner later in the week, too!
Ingredients for this air fryer chicken meal:
Here’s a quick overview of what you’ll need and some substitution suggestions. You can find exact measurements in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- Chicken breast – Cut into bite-size pieces. You could use tenderloins or thighs if you prefer. If you stock up on turkey after the holidays, this would work great with turkey!
- Mushrooms – Washed, cut in half. Choose crimini (or “baby bella”) mushrooms if you like the earthy, umami flavor or use white mushrooms if you prefer a milder flavor and slightly softer texture.
- Red bell pepper – Seeded, cut into bite-sized pieces. I enjoyed the sweet contrast, but you could choose green, yellow, or orange peppers if you prefer.
- Olive oil, Salt, and Pepper – The meat and veggies are tossed in this for flavor and browning. Feel free to use your preferred cooking oil instead. Adjust salt and pepper based on your preferences.
- For the garlic butter sauce: Butter, Garlic (minced), Soy sauce, Fresh rosemary (minced), and Crushed red pepper – This adds an incredible amount of flavor without a lot of work! Coconut aminos is a great soy-free substitution. Thyme and oregano would good subs if you’re not a fan of rosemary. Adjust the red pepper based on your heat preference… You can leave it out if you’d like!
How to make Chicken and Mushrooms in the Air Fryer
This is a simple, healthy dinner that everyone will love! Here’s a step-by-step guide for this super easy meal.
Preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees F for 3 minutes. While you’re waiting, place the cut chicken, halved mushrooms, and chopped red pepper into a mixing bowl. Add in the olive oil, salt, and pepper, then mix until everything is evenly seasoned.
Add the chicken and vegetables to the air fryer and cook for 10 minutes, then shake/stir the ingredients. Cook an additional 3-5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
While the air fryer is cooking the meat and veggies, heat a skillet to medium low. Add in the butter, then saute the garlic about 30 seconds. Add the soy sauce, rosemary, and crushed red pepper and stir well. Set the skillet aside (off the heat) for now, letting the flavors meld while the chicken and veggies finish.
Toss to coat
When the chicken and vegetables are done, add them to the skillet and toss in the garlic butter sauce. Serve immediately and garnish with additional rosemary, red pepper, and parmesan if desired.
Parmesan is a great finishing garnish, as it adds a delicious nutty flavor that complements this dish beautifully! Additional fresh herbs and pepper flakes also work well. We love this as a meal on its own because it’s very filling (and easy), but you could easily bulk it up. Check below for side dish recommendations!
- Jalapeno Gouda Bread or Keto Three-Cheese Biscuits
- Mashed Potatoes or Mashed Cauliflower
- Garlic Parmesan Pasta or Spaghetti Squash
- Fried Green Tomatoes or Keto Zucchini Fritters
If you’re lucky enough to have leftovers, you’ll want to let them cool completely before storing them in an airtight container. You can enjoy these up to 3 days later! It’s great for packing into lunch containers so you have a grab-and-go lunch option this week.
This recipe reheats so easily, but you’ll want to be careful to not overcook the chicken breast. Here are some tips for each reheating method:
- Microwave – Use 50% power to prevent the chicken from drying out. Blast in 45-second or 1-minute intervals, stirring between each for even reheating.
- Air Fryer – Reheat at 350 degrees F for 2-5 minutes. Shake every minute or so to make sure pieces on the top don’t get dried out. You could add a quick spray of oil to add some moisture if you went light on the butter sauce.
- Skillet – Heat a skillet to medium low, add a small amount of oil or butter, then add in your leftovers. Stir occasionally until warmed throughout.
- Oven – Preheat to 350, then reheat the leftovers in a loosely-covered baking dish. Add a small splash of water to the dish to help prevent drying out.
If you like this dinner recipe, you’ll love these great air fryer meals!
- Air Fryer Lemon Pepper Chicken – This chicken and green bean meal is lean, healthy, and full of bold, citrusy flavor!
- Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas – It’s so easy, this quick dinner will become your new stress-free go-to dinner! Carb balance tortillas will keep it low-carb, and leftovers make a great taco salad.
- Asian Pork Tenderloin with Air Fryer Veggies – This meal gives you super juicy, tender meat with delicious snap peas and carrots that roast quickly in the air fryer!
- Air Fryer Shrimp Tacos – Ready in about 15 minutes, so you could be eating quicker than you could usually make it through the Taco Bell drive-thru line!
- Air Fryer Sausage and Veggies – You will absolutely love how easy and quick this meal is! The air fryer brings out the best in the peppers, mushrooms, squash, onions, and zucchini!
- 1 pound chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 8 ounces mushrooms, washed and cut in half
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Garlic Butter Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- In a bowl, toss the chicken, mushrooms, and red pepper with the olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees F for 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken and vegetables to the air fryer and cook 10 minutes. After 10 minutes stir/toss the ingredients so it cooks evenly and cook an additional 3-5 minutes until the vegetables are tender and the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- While the chicken and vegetables heat a skillet to medium low heat. Add the butter until melted, saute the garlic 30 seconds and add the soy sauce, rosemary, and crushed red pepper. Stir well. Set the skillet aside.
- When the chicken and vegetables are done add them to the skillet and toss in the garlic butter sauce.
- Serve immediately and garnish with additional rosemary, red pepper and parmesan if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 244Total Fat: 12.6gCholesterol: 98mgSodium: 128.4mgCarbohydrates: 4.6gNet Carbohydrates: 3.3gFiber: 1.3gSugar: 2.5gProtein: 27.9g