These Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes are ready in less than 15 minutes! These potatoes have a great sweet and smokey flavor that pairs perfectly with grilled meats and veggies!
I’m on a mission to turn every vegetable into a quick and easy air fryer side dish! When we started using the air fryer to regularly cook our vegetables it was a game changer for our family. Dinners come together more quickly, we are eating healthier meals and we have so many vegetables in the rotation now we never get tired of what we are eating. These Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes are the newest addition to the lineup. These potatoes are crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside and have the perfect sweet and smokey flavor. You will absolutely love this easy potato side!
Reasons you will Love this Recipe
- Inexpensive: this recipe doesn’t use any expensive or hard-to-find ingredients!
- Fast: this recipe is ready in less than 15 minutes, but if you use precut sweet potatoes it can be prepared even faster!
- So tasty: a recipe even your picky eaters will love!
Ingredients for Air Fryer Sweet Potato
As always, this is a quick overview of the ingredients you will need for this recipe. To get the complete, printable recipe scroll to the recipe card. You need these basic ingredients for this recipe:
- Sweet Potatoes: this recipe calls for cubed sweet potatoes, if you are buying the potatoes whole you will need two medium size sweet potatoes. If you are in a hurry check the already prepared produce, you will likely find sweet potato cubes that have been peeled and cubed for you.
- Oil: you can use olive oil or avocado oil for this recipe.
- Sweetener: I use brown sugar for this recipe, but if you would like to make this sugar-free use brown sugar or golden monkfruit.
- Spices: chili powder, paprika, cumin, garlic powder and salt
- Cornstarch: cornstarch is the secret ingredient when it comes to crispy potatoes, it is what makes potato wedges so crispy on the outside while staying fluffy on the inside!
How to make Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes
Prepare the Sweet Potatoes
If you are starting with whole sweet potatoes wash and peel the potatoes. Use a very sharp knife and carefully cut the sweet potato into 1/2 inch cubes. Do your best to cut the cubes into similar sizes to ensure they cook at the same rate.
Mix the Spices
Combine the brown sugar, spices and cornstarch in a small bowl. You want to mix the spices before you add them so everything is incorporated nicely.
Add Oil and Spices
Toss the sweet potatoes in the oil, make sure the potatoes are well coated. Sprinkle the seasoning over the potatoes and stir until it is evenly distributed.
The final step is to air fry the potatoes! Simply preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees F for 3 minutes. Add the seasoned sweet potatoes to the pre-heated air fryer and cook 6 minutes. When the cooking cycle ends toss the potatoes well and cook for an additional 6 minutes or until cooked to your liking.
Serve the potatoes while they are piping hot and fresh from the air fryer. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. This dish goes great with basically anything but some of my favorite things to serve these potatoes with are:
- Blackened Pork Chops: The sweet and spicy notes of these potatoes pair so well with the blackened spices.
- Grilled Pork Tenderloin: an unbelievably delicious pork recipe everyone will love!
- Air Fryer Shrimp: a 10-minute entree that is super easy.
- Cheesy Rotel Chicken: a super simple one-pan chicken served in a cheesy rotel sauce.
- Perfect Baked Pork Chops: well-seasoned chops that are baked in the oven until super tender and juicy!
What air fryer should I use?
This recipe will work with any air fryer. I use a 4 quart basket air fryer and this recipe fits nicely. You can use a basket or rack style air fryer with the same results.
Air Fryer Sweet Potato FAQ
Cornstarch helps to absorb moisture resulting in a crispy exterior while the interior stays light anf fluffy.
The potatoes are seasoned with brown sugar, chili powder, paprika, cumin and salt. The overall flavor profile is mild with a smokey sweet flavor. They are not spicy.
Yes, this recipe is naturally gluten-free without any adjustments.
Yes, you can assemble the recipe as directed but cook on a greased sheet pan in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes, flip and cook an additional 10-15 minutes or until fork tender and crispy on the outisde.
Other Sweet Potato Recipes
- Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potatoes: the BEST way to make a perfectly cooked sweet potato!
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries: crispy sweet potato fries made right in the air fryer!
- Black Bean and Sweet Potato Tostadas: the perfect easy vegetarian dinner!
- Sweet Potato Pancakes: these gluten-free sweet potato pancakes are paired with salty bacon and maple syrup for the ultimate breakfast!
- Rosemary Garlic Potato Wedges: sweet potato wedges perfectly seasoned with herbs and garlic.
- Sweet Potato and White Cheddar Corn Muffins: ultra moist and cheesy cornbread.
- 3 cups sweet potato cubes (about 2 medium sweet potatoes)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1 teaspoon EACH chili powder, paprika and brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons EACH garlic powder, cumin, and salt
- Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into 1/2-inch cubes. Toss the potatoes in the olive oil and set aside.
- Combine the cornstarch and spices in a small bowl and sprinkle over the potatoes, toss to coat.
- Preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees F. for 3 minutes.
- Add the potatoes to the preheated air fryer and fry for 6 minutes, toss the potatoes, and fry for an additional 6 minutes.
Sprinkle the potatoes with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Serving Size:3/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 130Total Fat: 3.8gSodium: 366mgCarbohydrates: 23gNet Carbohydrates: 19.5gFiber: 3.5gSugar: 5gProtein: 1.9g