These easy Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes are perfectly soft and fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside! You only need three ingredients to make the perfect Baked Sweet Potatoes!
How to Pick a Sweet Potato
To make the perfect Air Fryer Sweet Potato you want to choose a potato that is small to medium in size. Think about what a single serving portion would be for you and choose accordingly. Giant sweet potatoes are not ideal for this recipe.
When choosing a sweet potato pick a potato that doesn’t have cracks, knots or bruises. The skin should be smooth and the potato should be firm to the touch.
Ingredients for Baked Sweet Potatoes
As always, this is a quick overview of the ingredients you will need for this recipe. For the complete, printable recipe just keep scrolling. To make a perfect sweet potato in the air fryer you just need three basic ingredients.
- Sweet Potato: a small to medium sweet potato. See the notes above on how to pick the perfect sweet potato.
- Oil: this can be spray oil or oil you drizzle and rub over the potato. You can use any neutral oil such as olive or avocado oil.
- Salt: this is my absolute favorite flakey salt.
How to Make Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes
Aside from the ingredients listed above you will need an air fryer. Depending on the size of your air fryer you may need to make these potatoes in batches. I find my 4 quart air fryer can make 4 small sweet potatoes, or 3 medium sweet potatoes. Follow the step by step guide below to make the best air fryer potatoes!
Rub Sweet Potato with Oil and Salt
Wash and dry the potatoes well. Place the potatoes on a plate and coat the outside of the potato with oil This can be spray oil, or oil that you drizzle over the potato and spread with your hands. You can use any neutral oil like olive oil or avocado oil. Next, sprinkle the outside of the potato liberally with flakey salt.
Add Sweet Potatoes to Air Fryer
Preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees F for 3 minutes. Add the prepared potatoes to the air fryer and air fry at 390 degrees F for 20 minutes. Flip the potatoes and air fry an additional 10-15 minutes until they are tender. I find that small sweet potatoes take 30 minutes total and medium sweet potatoes take 40 minutes total.
When the potatoes are tender slice down the center and carefully (I use heat safe gloves) push the ends of the sweet potato together so that it opens wide. Use a fork to fluff the inside of the potato and that is it! Add butter, salt and pepper and any other toppings you love!
Can you eat sweet potato skin?
Yes, sweet potato skin is edible and by adding the oil and salt it becomes crispy and tasty when cooked in the air fryer. If you prefer not to eat it, don’t worry; the inside of the potato is super tender and will easily peel away from the skin.
Toppings for Baked Sweet Potaoes
Common toppings for baked sweet potatoes include butter, salt, pepper, cinnamon, brown sugar, chili powder, cumin or paprika. You can also top sweet potatoes with a scoop of your favorite chili for a hearty meal!
To store an already cooked sweet potato allow it to cool completely and store in an airtight container. Baked sweet potatoes can be stored up to 3 days in the fridge.
To reheat an already cooked sweet potato preheat the air fryer 5 minutes to 350 degrees F. Add the whole potato to the air fryer and cook for 6 minutes. Check the potato and if it needs a few additional minutes flip the potato and cook 3-4 more minutes until warmed through.
If you love these Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes you will Also Love:
- The Perfect Air Fryer Baked Potato: we absolutely love these potatoes, they are especially delicious when paired with this pot roast recipe.
- Air Fryer Baby Potatoes: crispy, salty, addictive little potatoes that are ready in just a few minutes.
- Easy Air Fryer Green Beans: An easy, healthy side dish that your entire family will enjoy.
- Quick Air Fryer Carrots: simply put, these are the best carrots ever.
- Air Fryer Cauliflower: this one is a reader favorite, you will love it!
Small sweet potatoes need about 30 minutes total while medium sweet potatoes need about 40 minutes in the air fryer.
Simply coat clean sweet potatoes in a thin layer of oil, sprinkle with salt, then cook 30-40 minutes. Flip halfway through for even cooking.
Yes, you can make a regular baked potato in the air fryer the same way. Cook at 390 degrees F for 40-50 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Yes, sweet potatoes are healthy! They’re a great source of vitamins A, B6, C, and more. Sweet potatoes are high in fiber so you don’t deal with such a dramatic rise or fall in blood sugar levels. They may be able to reduce inflammation, improve digestion, and keep you full for longer.
- 4 small sweet potatoes
- 1-2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt to taste
- Clean and dry sweet potatoes, then rub with oil and salt. Preheat air fryer to 390 degrees F for 3 minutes.
- Place sweet potatoes in the air fryer basket and cook 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, flip and turn the sweet potatoes and continue cooking 10-20 more minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- With a knife, cut the top of the cooked sweet potatoes and gently press the ends together to open. Serve immediately with butter, spices, sugar, or your preferred toppings.
Serving Size:1 small-medium sweet potato
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 144Total Fat: 1.2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 381.5mgCarbohydrates: 26.2gFiber: 3.9gSugar: 5.4gProtein: 2g