This delicious Homemade Cajun Seasoning Recipe will add the perfect kick to your meals. Achieve spicy or mild Cajun flavor perfect for meat, vegetables, pasta, soups, and more!
What is in Cajun Seasoning?
- Smoked paprika and Cayenne – The base of Cajun seasoning relies on a tasty ground paprika! Sweet paprika is great if you like it mild while smoked paprika adds an extra savory touch. Cayenne pepper brings the real heat, and that can be increased or reduced based on your preferences
- Roasted garlic powder, Onion powder, Salt – These seasonings complement nearly all meats and vegetables, adding a great well-rounded flavor to everything. Regular granulated garlic powder will also work, but I love the depth added by the roasted version.
- Oregano, Thyme, Basil – Cajun flavor relies on herbs to balance out the spice and bring out the best flavors in your food! You could replace these with your favorite Italian seasoning mix if you prefer.
Some blends may include other ingredients like black pepper, red pepper flakes, rosemary, etc. It is perfectly fine to add or substitute similar ingredients if you prefer. The key is a good balance between herbs and spice.
How to Make Cajun Seasoning
This Cajun seasoning is very simple–Just measure your ingredients, dump them in a jar, and shake until it’s well mixed! The best part is that you can taste the final product and alter it to meet your needs. If you love spice, increase the cayenne; if you’re watching your sodium, cut out the salt. This is a fantastic base Cajun seasoning for tons of different types of Cajun recipes.
This homemade seasoning should be stored in an airtight container, preferably in a cool, dark place to preserve flavor. It will last at least 6 months if kept dry, cool, and away from light.
How much Cajun seasoning should you use?
For this spice blend, use 1-1 1/2 tablespoons of Cajun seasoning per pound of meat. It can also be used to spice up other recipes, just begin with small amounts at a time. There is a decent amount of salt used in this recipe, so start small to prevent making the dish too salty. You could also leave the salt out entirely if you prefer to salt on your own.
Frequently Asked Questions about Cajun Seasoning
Yes, traditionally Cajun seasoning is decently spicy because peppers are such a key ingredient. Paprika is the spicy base of this seasoning, but the cayenne knocks that heat up a notch! If you don’t prefer spicy food, leave out the cayenne entirely or use only 1 tablespoon.
Homemade seasoning will last at least 6 months in an airtight jar as long as it is kept dry. The quality of flavor from spices and herbs does deteriorate over time, so it’s always best the sooner you can use it. Sunlight or heat can also harm the quality, so store the seasoning in a dark, cool place like a pantry or back of a cabinet.
For most meat, one tablespoon of seasoning works to season one pound of meat.
How do you use Cajun Seasoning?
This homemade Cajun spice mix can be used in tons of different ways! Use about a tablespoon of seasoning per pound of meat, or liberally apply it to vegetables, casseroles, rice, all of your favorites. Here are some of our favorite recipes to use Cajun seasoning.
One Skillet Meals
Cajun seasoning includes flavors that complement SO many different ingredients, making it a perfect blend in one pan dinners and one skillet meals! Sear your favorite veggies and meats in a pan with a little oil and some Cajun seasonings for a super easy, low-carb, healthy dish.
- Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Skillet
- Sausage and Veggie Sheet Pan Dinner
- Cajun Sausage Cauliflower Rice
- Spicy Pork Chops and Rice
- Cajun Chicken Sausage and Cabbage Skillet
Vegetable Side Dishes
The blend of herbs and spices in this Cajun seasoning brings out the best in your vegetables! Roasted, air fried, grilled — Cajun seasoning is going to make that veggie better! Season some Air Fryer Potato Wedges, sprinkle it on Bacon Wrapped Roasted Cabbage, or bread this Crispy Baked Squash with it for a super delicious side.
Cajun seasoning is a meal preppers best friend! Any meat seasoned with this Cajun spice mix will be delicious added to any salads, sandwiches, wraps, pastas, and casseroles! It’s a versatile flavor profile that gives you tons of meal options without much effort. Try it on chicken, pork chops, shrimp, even breading for air fryer recipes!
Soup is anything but bland when seasoned with this Cajun mix! Such a well-balanced blend provides a great flavor base for many types of soups. It can complement a wide array of meat and vegetable combinations, so the sky is the limit! We absolutely love this in Creamy Cajun Chicken Soup, and it makes a great spicy Old Bay substitute in this Lobster Bisque.
Get those taste buds popping with spicy Cajun seasoning! Whether you use a lot or a little, this herby spice mix can help punch up the flavor in everyone’s classic favorites. Add it to some Slow Cooker Corn Dip, season some Crab Cakes, or even use it to spice up some Stuffed Mushrooms.
If you don’t usually go for spice first thing in the morning, you should consider it! Cajun seasoning is perfect with eggs, so a side of Cajun-seasoned Breakfast Potatoes or Sausage and Cabbage Hash would be excellent!
If you love this homemade Cajun Seasoning recipe, you’ll love these other seasoning recipes:
- Keto BBQ Rub – This easy seasoning rub is perfect on pork chicken, seafood, veggies, and more! Makes PERFECT pulled pork barbecue!
- Homemade Basil Pesto – This delicious sauce adds tons of flavor to pasta, vegetables, and cream sauces.
- How to Roast Garlic – Immediately improve any recipe by adding a head of roasted garlic! Amazing in sauces, spread onto sandwiches, stuffed into chicken, and more!
- Homemade Keto Taco Seasoning – Forget buying the packets with all those mystery ingredients! This is great for tacos, fajitas, soups, nachos… Pretty much all your Margarita food favorites.
- Homemade Enchilada Sauce – Toss that canned sauce. Instead make this super flavorful, spicy sauce to improve your Mexican food!
Homemade Cajun Seasoning Mix
This easy Homemade Cajun Seasoning Mix will add great flavor to any recipe! Easily adjust the level of heat depending on your preferences.
- 3 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons EACH: salt, roasted garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon EACH: onion powder, basil, thyme, oregano
- 1-3 tablespoons cayenne (depends on how much heat you prefer)
- Mix all ingredients together in an airtight jar.
Use 1 tablespoons of mix per pound of meat.
If you enjoy spice but not hot food, 1 tablespoon of cayenne will suffice. If you enjoy very spicy food, use up to 3 tablespoons of cayenne seasoning.
Serving Size:1 tablespoon
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 15Total Fat: 0.4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1165.7mgCarbohydrates: 3.2gNet Carbohydrates: 2gFiber: 1.2gSugar: 0.3gProtein: 0.7g