These Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas are ready in just 10 minutes! These flavorful fajitas feature juicy chicken and perfectly cooked peppers and onions!
Fajtas in 10 minutes?! No way! Yes, friends, this recipe is life-changing! You can now enjoy perfectly cooked fajitas in a matter of minutes with barely any work! All you have to do is a little chopping, stirring, and air frying! You can enjoy this in warm tortillas, over a salad, in a quesadilla, with rice, or just on its own! If you’re on a low-carb diet, try these Zucchini Keto Tortillas.
Air Fryer Chicken Fajita Ingredients
As always, this is a quick overview of the ingredients needed for this recipe. To get the complete, printable recipe just scroll to the printable recipe card.
- Chicken: boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs will work in this recipe.
- Bell Peppers: I use a mixture of red and green, but any variety will do.
- Onion: I used a white onion, but red or sweet will also work.
- Olive Oil: any neutral oil, including avocado oil works in this recipe.
- Taco Seasoning: or fajita seasoning, either option works well.
- Lime: this is an optional ingredient but I like to squeeze fresh lime juice over the cooked fajitas.
How to Make Air Fryer Fajitas
In addition to the ingredients listed above you will need a mixing bowl and an air fryer. I have a 4-quart air fryer and this recipe has to be made in two batches. If you have a larger capacity or duel basket air fryer you may be able to make it in one batch. To make these juicy chicken fajitas just follow the step-by-step guide below:
Slice Chicken and Veggies
Slice the bell peppers, onion, and chicken into relatively small pieces. If the pieces are large they are harder to keep in the fajita shells. Remember to cut things as uniformly as possible so they cook evenly.
Season the Chicken and Vegetables
Add the olive oil and seasoning mix. Toss well so everything is coated nicely. For this recipe, we use a 1-ounce package of taco or fajita seasoning or 3 tablespoons of a homemade mix. As you can see in the photo above these fajitas are heavily seasoned and it helps create that great crust on the chicken.
Preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees for 3 minutes. Remember, air fryers are just like ovens or grills, you need to warm them up before adding your food. Add the fajita mixture in a single layer in the air fryer (I have a 4 quart and do this in two batches) fry the fajitas for 5 minutes and toss well, cook an additional 4-5 more minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the peppers are tender. If desired, squeeze fresh lime juice over the cooked fajita mixture and stuff it into warm tortillas.
Fajitas are typically served in warm tortillas with lime wedges. Additional fajita toppings include sour cream, salsa, guacamole, or this Jalapeno Dip. This Sweet Corn Salsa is always a hit at our house. This Avocado Bacon Dip is also a great choice!
Storing and Freezing
Chances are, these fajitas are so delicious you don’t have any leftovers! On the off chance that you do, store any leftovers in an air-tight container for up to 5 days. Store the fillings separately from the tortillas to prevent the dish from becoming soggy.
To freeze the fajitas allow them to cool completely and store them in a large freezer bag. You can freeze chicken fajitas for up to 3 months.
Reheat chicken fajitas in 30-second increments in the microwave until warmed through. You can also use an air fryer when heated to 350 degrees F for 4 minutes.
What air fryer should I use?
This recipe will work with a basket or rack-style air fryer. The only thing you will need to consider is the size air fryer you have. I have a 4-quart air fryer and I have to make this recipe in two batches. For us, it is no problem we make one half of the recipe and start eating, and by the time everyone is ready for a second round of fajitas the last batch is done. If you have a large or two-basket air fryer you will likely be able to do this in one batch.
Tips and Tricks
- Be sure to cut the meat and vegetables into nice small pieces. This ensures it fits into a tortilla comfortably, and that everything cooks at the same time.
- Don’t skip the lime! This tangy citrus is an essential ingredient to make these air fryer fajitas as authentic as possible!
- Use the oil! It might be tempting to skip that ingredient to cut the calories, but the spice will not adhere to the meat and vegetables if you do not use it.
This recipe is specifically formulated for an air fryer. If you would like to use a grill or grill pan I recommend following this recipe.
Sure, we love adding mushrooms to this recipe, but you can use any other variety just remember to keep them cut roughly the same size.
This recipe is gluten-free if you serve it in corn tortillas.
The meat and vegetable mixture is naturally low-carb and keto-friendly. If you would like to use tortillas use a Mission Carb Balance option to keep the carbs in check.
Other Fajita Recipes
- Fajita Taquitos: if you have leftover fajitas this is definitely the way to use them!
- The Best Fajita Soup: a hearty soup that is loaded with everything you love about fajitas!
- Grilled Chicken Fajitas: this recipe includes a zesty jalapeno lime marinade!
- Fajita Vegetables: I really love this as a delicious side dish, or a quick, healthy meatless meal!
- Steak Fajitas: flank steak and veggies cooked and wrapped in a warm tortilla!
- 1 pound chicken, cut into small strips
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 1 lime (optional)
- 12 tortillas (corn, flour or low carb)
- Cut the chicken into small strips. Remove the seeds from the peppers, cut the onion and peppers into strips, and add to a mixing bowl.
- Add the oil and seasoning, and toss to coat.
- Preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees for 3 minutes.
- Add the fajita mixture in a single layer in the air fryer (I have a 4 quart and do this in two batches) fry the fajitas for 5 minutes and toss well, cook an additional 4-5 more minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the peppers are tender.
- If desired, squeeze fresh lime juice over the cooked fajita mixture and stuff it into warm tortillas.
I have a 4-quart air fryer and need to do this in two batches.
Serving Size:3 fajitas (nutrition calculated with carb balance street taco tortillas)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 307Total Fat: 11.9gCholesterol: 82mgSodium: 603mgCarbohydrates: 38gNet Carbohydrates: 7.3gFiber: 27.7gSugar: 4.3gProtein: 35g