This easy Air Fryer Sausage and Veggies recipe only requires 5 minutes of prep time and 10 minutes of cooking time. Even better, it is low-carb and keto friendly with less than 6 net carbs per serving! It is a perfect quick and easy meal for one of those long, busy weekdays!
Air Fryer Sausage and Veggies
This Air Fryer Sausage and Veggies recipe is a go-to for those busy nights! From start to finish you can have this ready in less than 20 minutes! This recipe is pretty hands-off so once you have tossed the ingredients in the air fryer, you even have some extra time to get the kids ready for dinner or prepare another side. This healthy Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad or this Broccoli Salad can be whipped up in less than the 10 minutes it takes the Air Fryer Sausage and Veggies to cook in the air fryer.
This would also be a great meal for those meal prep each week. Slice up your sausage and vegetables ahead of time to give yourself even more time to get other things done around the house in the evening. This recipe can also easily be doubled and is one of our favorites to have as leftovers later in the week.
Using an air fryer is a quick, efficient way to prepare this meal. Rather than constantly stirring the ingredients in a skillet, you can give them just one toss after about 5-6 minutes. This recipe also does a great job of adding a light crispness to the sausage. An even great benefit are the health benefits of the air fryer. An air fryer cuts calories by 70-80% compared to traditional frying in oil and reduces total fat.
As always, this is a quick overview of the ingredients needed for this recipe. For the complete, printable recipe scroll down. To make this Sausage and Veggies recipe you will need:
- Smoked Sausage, Sliced: Kielbasa, Andouille (my personal favorite), Italian sausage, chorizo, or bratwursts could be substituted
- Yellow Squash, Quartered
- Zucchini, Quartered
- Onion, Quartered: I use white but yellow or red would also work.
- Mushrooms, Quartered
- Olive Oil: Keeps food moist and also helps increase crispiness; Vegetable or Canola Oil will work if you don’t have olive oil.
- Cajun Seasoning (or your favorite all-purpose seasoning)
How to Cook Air Fryer Sausage and Veggies
Slice the Sausage and Vegetables
Slice the sausage in half as it will cook quicker. Due to the higher moisture content of the vegetables, quarter vegetables to ensure sliced vegetables are smaller to allow to be done the same time as the sausage.
In a mixing bowl, toss ingredients with olive oil and spices.
Preheat the air fryer for 3 minutes at 390 F.
Add the ingredients to the air fryer without overcrowding (will require 2 batches in a four quart air fryer). Cook for 5 minutes, then toss ingredients. Then cook an additional 5-6 minutes until sausage has browned and vegetables have reached your desired tenderness.
This can be served immediately. Since this meal contains a protein and vegetables it can be a complete meal on its own or can be served with another side such as the salads discussed earlier. You could also add a starch such as these biscuits or rolls.
Ensure sausage and veggies have completely cooled before moving to an airtight container. This recipe can be stored in the fridge up to 4 days. To reheat, place ingredients back in the air fryer for 2 minutes at 375 F. Check for desired warmth. If needed, continue to add an additional minute in air fryer until reaching desired warmth.
Tips for the Best Air Fryer Sausage and Veggies
- Protein Substitutions: Kielbasa, Andouille (my personal favorite), Italian sausage, chorizo, or bratwursts could be substituted. This recipe would also be delicious with shrimp, steak, or chicken.
- For crispness, ensure you do toss ingredients at least once and don’t overcrowd the air fryer.
- The thinner you slice the sausage, the crispier it will be.
- Vegetable Substitutions: If you’re missing a few of the mentioned vegetable ingredients it’s okay! Bell peppers, broccoli, or Brussels sprouts could also work well.
- This is a great meal to reheat later. If you’re pressed for time, cook ahead of time and reheat at dinner time or make extra servings so that you can have leftovers later in the week.
Sausage and Veggies FAQ
Yes. Always verify the ingredients for any packaged/canned ingredient such as the sausage. Most smoked sausage is gluten free. We prefer New Johnsonville which is labeled GF.
Yes, just follow the reheating instructions above.
Yes. To cook in a skillet, heat a large skillet to medium heat and lightly spray with cooking oil.
Dump the sausage, peppers and onions in the skillet. Cook the mixture, stirring occasionally 7-8 minutes. The dish is done when the sausage has browned and the vegetables are tender. Add salt and pepper to taste.
More Easy Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Eggs: The ultimate quick and easy breakfast! These easy air fryer eggs feature prosciutto and parmesan and are ready in 10 minutes or less!
- Air Fryer Quesadillas: This family friendly meal is ready in just 10 minutes, making it another great weeknight dinner recipe!
- Air Fryer French Toast: Ready in about 10 minutes and great for a meal prep breakfast!
- Air Fryer Egg Rolls: Your new go to snack! These perfectly crispy egg rolls taste just like take out!
- Air Fryer Potato Wedges: Ultra crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside! This easy air fryer recipe requires just four ingredients and is ready in under 15 minutes!
- Air Fryer Stuffed Chicken Breast: Naturally gluten free, low carb, and bursting with cheesy, spicy flavor!
- 1 (14 ounce) package Smoked Sausage, sliced
- 1 cup yellow squash, quartered
- 1 cup zucchini, quartered
- 1 cup onion, quartered
- 1 cup mushrooms, quartered
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning (or your favorite all purpose seasoning
- Add the ingredients to a mixing bowl, and toss with the oil and spices.
- Preheat the air fryer for 3 minutes to 390 degrees F.
- Add the ingredients to the fryer without overcrowding (this requires 2 batches in my four-quart air fryer). Cook for 5 minutes, then toss the ingredients and cook an additional 5-6 minutes until the sausage has browned and the vegetables have reached your desired tenderness.
This can be made in the oven as a sheet pan meal. Prepare the ingredients as instructed and place them on a large baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes, toss, and bake an additional 5 minutes or until the sausage has browned and the vegetables are tender.
Serving Size:About 1 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 353Sodium: 294mgCarbohydrates: 7.1gNet Carbohydrates: 5.6gFiber: 1.5gSugar: 2gProtein: 13.6g