This Hamburger Soup recipe is the perfect alternative to a delicious grilled hamburger during those cold winter months. This hearty soup is made with ground beef, vegetables, and a delicious broth with only a 30 minute cook time!
There are few things better than a juicy, grilled hamburger. Unfortunately, the winter months make it pretty intolerable to spend much time outside cooking on the grill, but this hamburger vegetable soup will more than satisfy your hamburger craving. It has all the flavor of a burger but in a warm, hearty soup.
This soup is a great meal prep recipe. You can easily make it ahead of time and store in the fridge or in the freezer for up to 3 months. In fact, I love eating soup or chili a few days after first making it because it tastes even better! The flavor seems to get even better with time.
If you’re serving for a larger family or even a small gathering, this recipe is ideal because it provides 8 servings. We’re a smaller family, but love it because we have leftovers for the rest of the week!
It is also a surprisingly healthy recipe packed full of veggies and lean ground beef. It is less than 200 calories per serving! If you’re not on a low carb or keto diet, and follow a more moderate intake of carbs, you can use red potatoes instead of a turnip. Yukon Gold potatoes are another good choice.
What You Will Love About This Recipe
- Easy. This recipe only requires a couple simple steps and common ingredients.
- Quick. Only 10 minutes of prep time and 30 minutes of cook time make this a simple, quick soup recipe. You can also make it ahead of time to make those busy weeknights even easier!
- Family Friendly. This recipe provides 8 servings so it is an excellent choice for a larger family or will provide enough leftovers for multiple meals throughout the week.
Here is a quick overview of what you will need for this recipe. You can find exact measurements and nutrition values in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- Ground beef: if looking for a leaner meat, you could use ground turkey
- Vegetables: onion, carrots, celery, turnip (an alternative to turnip would be potatoes if not following low carb diet)
- Minced garlic: helps create a more flavorful hamburger soup
- Worcestershire sauce: a key component to providing the hamburger flavor
- Canned goods: green beans and diced tomatoes
- Spices: garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, chili powder, kosher salt, and black pepper
- Beef broth: a higher quality broth makes a noticeable difference in flavor
How to Make Hamburger Soup
This is an incredibly simple, quick soup recipe that is perfect on a cold, fall or winter evening! You will need a large pot or Dutch oven. Here is our quick step-by-step guide to making this easy Hamburger Vegetable Soup.
Brown the meat
Brown the ground beef in a large dutch oven or stock pot over medium heat. Then drain off the grease.
Add the vegetables and canned goods
Add the onion, carrots, celery, cubed turnips and garlic. Saute the mixture, stirring occasionally for 5-6 minutes. Then add the drained and rinsed green beans, fire roasted tomatoes and spices. Stir to combine.
Add the beef broth and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cover and reduce the heat to low. Allow the soup to cook 20-25 minutes or until the turnips are tender.
What to Serve with Hamburger Vegetable Soup
Here are a few of our favorite side dishes to serve with this soup recipe. Enjoy!
- Keto Dinner Rolls– These low carb dinner rolls are perfectly soft and fluffy, you would never guess they are low carb!
- Cranberry Apple Kale Salad– This is the ultimate Fall salad! Packed with crisp apples, sweet dried cranberries and salty nuts this is the perfect healthy salad recipe!
- Easy Chickpea Cucumber Salad– This chickpea salad features fresh vegetables and a tangy lemon vinaigrette. You will love this healthy salad for simple weekly meal prep!
- Keto Cheddar Garlic Biscuits– These cheddar garlic biscuits are a perfect low carb Red Lobster Biscuit copycat! Only 2 net carbs each and loaded with flavor!
- Arugula Salad with Parmesan– Peppery arugula is paired with nutty parmesan, sliced almonds and a brown butter keto salad dressing for an easy, healthy side dish.
Storage and Reheating Instructions
- Reheating Instructions: This soup reheats well in the microwave. Reheat in 30-second increments until warmed to your desired level. You can also reheat in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally. To reheat frozen soup, remove it from the freezer and let it thaw in the fridge overnight. Then follow the directions above.
- Refrigerator Storage: After allowing to cool, you can store this soup in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Freezer Storage: You can store this soup in the freezer for up to 3 months in a freezer safe container.
Hamburger Soup FAQ
Yes, this recipe is gluten free if prepared as described. Ensure your Worcestershire sauce is labeled gluten free.
Absolutely, you can freeze this recipe for up to 3 months using the instructions above.
Yes, you could use ground turkey if looking for a leaner cut of meat.
Yes, this recipe only has 6.8 net carbs per serving.
Other Soup Recipes
- Cheesy Italian Sausage Soup- This delightful, creamy soup is loaded with browned sausage and vegetables!
- Keto Chicken Soup– This chicken soup is packed with shredded chicken, and tons of vegetables swimming in a flavorful broth! At about 8 net carbs this is the ultimate low carb comfort food!
- Creamy Buffalo Chicken Soup– This soup features tender chicken, sauteed vegetables, sharp cheddar cheese, and tangy buffalo sauce!
- Easy Mushroom Soup– This mushroom soup recipe is vibrant, low-carb, and absolutely delicious! This quick vegetarian soup is the perfect comfort food for a weeknight!
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 turnip, peeled and chopped (or potato if not low carb)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) can green beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 teaspoon each garlic powder and onion powder
- 1 teaspoon each paprika, chili powder, kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cups beef broth
- Brown the ground beef in a large dutch oven or stock pot over medium heat. Drain off the grease.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery, cubed turnips and garlic, saute the mixture, stirring occasionally for 5-6 minutes.
- Add the drained and rinsed green beans, fire roasted tomatoes and spices, stir to combine.
- Add the beef broth and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cover and reduce the heat to low, allow the soup to cook 20-25 minutes or until the turnips are tender.
This makes a lot, and you will need a large pot; I recommend a 5.5-quart or bigger pot or Dutch oven.
Serving Size:1 1/2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 184Total Fat: 3.6gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 459mgCarbohydrates: 9.1gNet Carbohydrates: 6.8gFiber: 2.3gSugar: 4.1gProtein: 27g