Garlic Butter Green Beans are a family favorite! Tender green beans are tossed in a rich butter sauce and topped toasted almonds, each serving is just under 4 net carbs.
There are some side dishes that just cannot be topped. These Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes come to mind. They are deliciously creamy, only require 7 minutes of cooking time and every time I make them my family asks for more!
These Garlic Butter Green Beans are in the same category. They are quick, naturally low in carbs and always a crowd pleaser! These green beans feature simple flavors like garlic, lemon and a hit of sweetness, so their mild flavor goes with just about any dish. Give them a shot and I’m sure you will love them as much as we do!
Ingredients for Garlic Butter Green Beans
- Green Beans: fresh green beans with stems removed.
- Lemon Juice
- Apple cider vinegar
- Keto-friendly sweetener such as Golden Monkfruit
- Salt and Pepper
How do you make Garlic Green Beans?
- Blanch the trimmed green beans in boiling water and cook until al dente (about 6 minutes). Immediately transfer to a bowl of ice.
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat, add butter, garlic, sweetener, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, almonds, salt, and pepper. Cook the almonds until lightly toasted, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Add green beans and toss to coat until heated through, approximately 4-5 minutes.
Why do you blanch green beans?
Blanching is preparation method that helps you achieve brighter, crunchier, and all-round more delicious green beans! It helps to tenderize the beans and provides them with a nice crunch, instead of a tough, stringy texture. Here is how you do it:
- Once your beans are prepped for cooking, generously salt a pot of water and bring it to a boil on the stove.
- In the meantime, prepare an ice bath ready for when your beans have been boiled. It’s super important to get this done before cooking your beans, so they can be transferred from the pot to the ice bath as quickly as possible.
- When the pot of water is boiling, place your green beans into the water and boil for about two minutes until they are cooked (but still crisp). Once cooked, immediately transfer them into your ice bath and let them sit until they have cooled completely.
The ice bath is important because it immediately stops the green beans from cooking. This ensures when you prepare them in the garlic butter sauce they are perfectly crisp and not overcooked and mushy.
Can you meal prep green beans?
Certainly, this is an easy dish to prep! If you’re preparing this side in advance, make sure to blanch your green beans as described above to preserve all that wonderful crispiness and flavor. Store the blanched green beans in an air tight container.
When ready to prepare heat a large skillet and add the remaining ingredients and cold green beans, toss to coat. When the beans have warmed through, serve.
Alternately, this dish rewarms nicely. If you prefer to make the entire dish in advance that works too. Simply skip adding the almonds until you are ready to serve.
Are Green Beans Keto Friendly?
Yes, green beans have a great carb to fiber ratio making them low in net carbs. Each serving of this recipe has just under 4 net carbs.
What should I serve with Garlic Butter Green Beans?
- 10 ounces green beans, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons keto friendly sweetener such as monkfruit or swerve
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: additional lemon wedges for garnish
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add the trimmed green beans and cook until al dente, about 6 minutes. Drain the green beans and immediately immerse into an ice bath.
- In a large pan bring melt the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic, sugar substitute, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and almonds. Cook over medium low heat for 4-5 minutes until almonds are toasted.
- Add the drained green beans, tossing to coat. Add salt and pepper to taste and cook for 6-7 minutes until heated through.
- Serve with additional lemon wedges for garnish.
Serving Size:about 3/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 101Total Fat: 8.8gCholesterol: 22.9mgCarbohydrates: 5.4gNet Carbohydrates: 3.5gFiber: 1.9gSugar: 2.3gProtein: 1.5g