This Crispy Air Fryer Okra requires just 3 ingredients and about 10 minutes of cook time! Enjoy perfectly crunchy, salty, Fried Okra with this simple side dish recipe!
If you think you don’t like okra, this may just be the recipe to change your mind! There is no slimy okra here! Only crunchy deliciously crispy okra that is perfectly fried! The best part about this recipe is that it requires no messy, oily frying or tons of ingredients! This dish comes together super quickly, I promise it will be the only way you ever want to enjoy okra again!
What is okra?
Okra is a pod-like vegetable that is known for its versatility. The pods are long, slender, and usually range from 4 to 6 inches in length. Smaller, shorter pods are more tender. Longer, thicker pods are very tough and have little taste. They have a prickly surface and contain small, white seeds. They are commonly used in cajun dishes such as Gumbo.
Okra can be steamed, sautéd, grilled, fried, or boiled. When cooked, okra becomes tender and slightly slimy, which some find off-putting. The sliminess can be minimized by cooking methods such as frying, grilling, or using acidic ingredients like lemon juice or vinegar. If you are concerned with the texture, fear not! This recipe is super crispy and has a great texture.
Ingredients for Air Fryer Okra
As always, this is a quick overview of the ingredients needed to make crispy okra. To get the complete, printable recipe simply scroll to the recipe box below.
- Okra: the cooking times for this recipe are for sliced okra. If you prefer to cook the entire pod that will also work, but you will need to monitor the cooking time. It will likely be closer to the 12-15 minute range.
- Mayonnaise: instead of using an egg to adhere the breading to the okra we are going to use a small amount of mayonnaise. This does a couple of things, it helps the breading stick to the okra, it helps to provide a crispier coating, and it makes this less messy than dipping the okra in an egg, then tossing in the breading.
- Fish Breading: yes! You read that right, boxed fish breading such as this. This is the best shortcut because the cornmeal is ground very fine and already seasoned. You simply cannot go wrong, it makes the best fried okra (or other veggies!)
How to Make Air Fryer Okra
This side dish is so easy to make, you just need to complete three simple steps to make delicious fresh air fryer okra!
- Slice and Toss: Wash and slice the okra into rounds. Discard the ends. Toss the okra slices in the mayonnaise, and make sure it is completely coated. This is what will help the breading stick to the okra.
- Bread: Begin by adding 1/4 of the breading to the mixing bowl and coat the okra. (see the second photo below). Add the remaining breading and stir to coat. The okra should be well coated like the third photo in the collage below.
- Air Fry: Place the breaded okra in a single layer in a preheated 390-degree air fryer. Spray the okra with oil and fry for 5 minutes, turn and fry for another 4-5 minutes or until crispy.
Serve the okra while it is piping hot! Sprinkle a little salt to taste and try not to eat it all by yourself! This okra goes great with just about anything, but these are a few of my favorite dishes:
- Blackened Pork Chops: tender, juicy, and super easy!
- Creamy Cajun Chicken: a one-pan chicken dish that everyone loves!
- Sausage and Cabbage Skillet: a savory dish that comes together in one pan.
- Green Chili Corn Fritters: make it a vegetarian dinner with okra and these crispy corn patties!
- Thick Cut Pork Chops: the best way to cook a 2-inch chop!
Storage and Reheating
Store leftover okra in an airtight container with a paper towel to absorb extra moisture. To reheat preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees for 3 minutes. Add the okra to the air fryer and spritz with oil if you feel it is dry. Heat for 2 minutes, flip and heat an additional 1 minute if needed to achieve a crisp texture.
Tips for the Best Fried Okra
- Size: Select young, fresh okra pods that are small to medium in size. They should be vibrant green, firm, and free from any blemishes or signs of wilting. The larger okra gets the tougher the exterior becomes and the larger the seeds grow. The taste and texture are greatly dimensioned the larger the okra becomes.
- Prep: Rinse the okra pods and pat them dry with a kitchen or paper towel. Trim the stem ends and slice the pods into 1/2-inch thick rounds. Make sure the slices are uniform in size to ensure even cooking.
- Coat: Be sure to coat the okra evenly and completely for the best flavor.
- Use Oil: The key to excellent air fryer okra is to use oil! Spritz the okra with oil so it fries up super crispy and crunchy!
- Season and Serve: While the fried okra is still hot, sprinkle it with a pinch of salt or cajun seasoning to enhance the flavor.
Fried Okra FAQ
This is my favorite breading to use.
You can use an egg instead of mayonnaise.
For this recipe you will want to cook the okra at 390 degrees F.
Air Fryer Vegetables
- Air Fryer Green Beans
- The Best Air Fryer Baked Potato
- Perfect Air Fryer Sweet Potato
- Air Fryer Cauliflower
- Easy Air Fryer Carrot Fries
- 12 ounces fresh okra
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Zatarain's Seasoned Fish Breading (or similar product)
- spray oil
- Wash and completely dry the okra. Next, slice the okra into rounds. Discard the ends. Toss the okra slices in the mayonnaise, and make sure it is completely coated.
- Begin by adding 1/4 of the breading to the mixing bowl and coat the okra. (see the second photo in the collage above). Add the remaining breading and stir to coat. The okra should be well coated like the third photo in the collage above. If you have a bit of extra breading left in the bowl you can add a small amount (1-2 teaspoons) of additional mayonnaise to help all of the breading adhere.
- Preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees for 3 minutes. Place the breaded okra in a single-layer in the air fryer. Spray the okra with oil and fry for 5 minutes, turn and fry for another 4-5 minutes or until crispy.
Remember, the cooking time will vary based on how thick you slice the okra, how fresh it is, and what kind of air fryer you have. Check it regularly and remove it from the air fryer when brown and crispy.
Serving Size:1/4 of recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 115Total Fat: 3.2gCholesterol: 2.5mgSodium: 698mgCarbohydrates: 19gNet Carbohydrates: 16gFiber: 3gSugar: 1.3gProtein: 2.7g