This low carb, keto-friendly Cheesy Roasted Asparagus is the perfect side dish! Prepare this easy recipe with just five basic ingredients!
Asparagus is a great side dish option because it tends to cook quickly and can be dressed up so easily. In this recipe, I threw together 5 simple ingredients to jazz up these stalks for the perfect weeknight dinner.
The gruyere is beautifully melty in this recipe, but you could easily substitute for other cheeses that you may already have! This simple, versatile dish would pair well with chicken, beef, and seafood, too!
This dish is naturally low-carb, gluten-free, and vegetarian, so it’s perfect for guests! Treat the family (and yourself!) to a healthy side or appetizer that is ready in under 30 minutes.
Ingredients Needed for Roasted Asparagus
As always, this is just a quick overview of the ingredients you will need for this recipe. For the complete measurements and instructions just keep scrolling.
- Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Gruyere cheese: Parmesan, Asiago or Fontina also work well in this recipe
How do you make the perfect roasted asparagus?
They key to perfectly roasted asparagus is the temperature. You cannot expect tender, crisp asparagus if you use a low oven temperature. You need to set your oven to 400 degrees F for the best taste and texture.
Secondly, you must not over crowd the pan. While you may notice the asparagus are very close together once the cheese is sprinkled on top, this is done after it is initially roasted. Space your asparagus stalks out a bit to give each of them a chance to release their moisture as they cook, resulting in perfect, crisp asparagus!
Lastly, wait to add your cheese until the very end. If you add the cheese at the beginning of the recipe it will be overcooked resulting in a crispy, crunchy cheese topping instead of a fresh, stringy topping.
Is asparagus keto?
Asparagus is naturally low in carbs and great for a keto diet. This recipe makes 4 servings. Each serving has 4.9 grams of carbs and 2.4 grams of fiber, making this 2.5 net carbs. This is a great option for a keto friendly side dish.
What to serve with Cheesy Roasted Asparagus
- Easy Keto Chicken Tenders: naturally low carb and can be made in the air fryer or oven.
- Salmon with Jalapeno Lime Butter: also cooks at 400 degree F, so you can make both dishes at the same time!
- Perfect Blackened Chicken: easy, low carb and so flavorful.
- Grilled Caesar Chicken: only three ingredients and so tasty!
Other Vegetable Side Dishes
- 1 pound asparagus, woody ends removed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Lightly spray a foil lined baking sheet with cooking spray. Arrange the asparagus on the baking sheet.
- Roast 10-15 minutes until they reach your desired tenderness. (I look for mine to be fork tender, and begining to slightly brown around the edges)
- Push the asparagus closer together and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Bake an additional 5-7 minutes until cheese is melted.
Note: Your cooking time will vary depnding on how thick your stalks are. If you have very thin asparagus stalks the cooking time will be closer to 7-10 minutes.
Serving Size:1/4 pound
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 85Total Fat: 7.1gSodium: 2.5mgCarbohydrates: 4.9gNet Carbohydrates: 2.5gFiber: 2.4gSugar: 2gProtein: 2.6g