A healthy, filling steak salad that works great as a main dish for lunch or dinner. This recipe makes it easy to stick to your diet with simple step-by-step instructions and can even be prepared ahead of time!
Finding a meal that is both filling and healthy can be difficult. How often do we eat a light, healthy meal only to be hungry an hour later? This recipe is one of our favorites because it is filling while primarily being made up of only fresh vegetables and protein. This steak salad is especially great as a lunch during the work week or a busy weekday dinner. It can easily be made ahead of time and placed in a container to take to work. No side dishes are necessary. This dish really does have it all while remaining low-carb!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Healthy. This recipe uses lean protein and numerous vegetables to create a healthy, low-carb meal that is actually filling.
- Customizable. The vegetables and even the steak can easily be substituted for other choices you find preferable. Bell pepper, black beans, jalapeños, and grilled chicken are just a few of the many choices that would also work with this recipe.
- Great for meal planning. This is an excellent recipe choice for meal planners. Prep the vegetables and steak ahead of time then just grab your salad out of the refrigerator as you leave for work.
Steak Salad Ingredients
Here is a quick overview of what you will need for this healthy steak salad recipe. For exact measurements, keep scrolling down to the printable recipe card below.
- Sirloin steak: You can use flank steak, New York strip, or even prime rib
- Marinade: avocado oil (olive oil will also work), balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper
- Dijon mustard: creates a sharp, tangy dressing flavor
- Vegetables: romaine lettuce, baby arugula, cherry tomatoes, corn (we used thawed frozen corn, but you can also use canned or even fresh grilled corn), avocado, and red onion
- Bleu cheese: helps create a unique, delicious flavor and texture to the salad
How to Make a Steak Salad
Aside from the ingredients listed above you won’t need much besides a way to cook the steak, such as a grill. However, if you don’t have a grill and would prefer to use an air fryer this is an excellent recipe that works perfectly for this steak salad. Here is a step-by-step guide to easily make this recipe at home.
Marinate the steak
In a large ziplock bag or bowl, combine the avocado oil, balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire, salt, and pepper together to create a marinade. Add the steak, then marinate in the refrigerator for at least 6-8 hours for the best flavor and texture. This dressing really compliments the other ingredients well, but if you have a go-to steak marinade you prefer that will work too.
Grill the Steak
Heat your grill to medium-high, then place the steak on the grill. Grill for 5 minutes, then flip and grill for another 1-2 minutes, or until cooked to your liking. Remove from the grill and set aside to rest. Alternatively, you can use this Air Fryer Steak if you’d like to cook the steak inside with minimal fuss.
Assemble the Salad
To make the salad dressing combine all dressing ingredients in a bowl or mason jar and stir until combined. Remember to do a quick taste test and make sure the balance of salty and sweet is how you like it.
To assemble the salad start with the romaine and arugula. Next, layer the corn, red onion, tomatoes, and avocado. Slice your steak into ½-inch strips (against the grain) and add it to the salad along with a nice dose of crumbled bleu cheese.
Drizzle the salad with dressing to taste and toss to coat! This is an incredibly hearty salad that will please even your biggest meat eater!
Serve the salad immediately while the steak is warm and the vegetables are cold. I find this to be a super hearty meal on it’s own, but it is also great served alongside a warm buttered roll. If you’d like to enjoy this with a cocktail it pairs great with this Spicy Watermelon Margarita, or a Skinny Mojito.
Storage and Reheating Instructions
- Reheating: To reheat the steak, reserve some of the marinade (BEFORE the raw meat goes in it) or make a double batch to store in the fridge. Pour reserved marinade over the steak and warm it covered in the oven (350 degrees F) until it reaches about 120-125 degrees F. You can also microwave in 20-second increments at 50% power until warmed to your desired level.
- Refrigerator Storage: You can store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
- Freezer Storage: We do not recommend freezing the vegetables but you can freeze the steak. After cooling to room temperature, transfer the steak to a freezer-safe container and enjoy it within 3-6 months for the best texture.
Tips for the Best Steak Salad
- Utilize leftovers. This steak would also work great for tacos, quesadillas, nachos, sandwiches, etc. We like to make some extra so we can use it for multiple meals throughout the week.
- Properly marinate. Meat must tenderize for at least two hours to increase tenderness. Marinating meat for 12 hours is best. However, you do not want to marinate longer than 24 hours. The acid will break down the tissue, which will negatively affect the texture of the steak.
- Against the grain. Flank steak is a great cut of meat when cooked and prepared properly. Most importantly, you should cut your meat against the grain. This is true when slicing any steak. The grain of the meat is the direction the muscle fibers run across the meat. By cutting against the grain, the meat is less chewy and more tender. Once you have identified the direction of the muscle fibers, you will cut your slices of steak perpendicular to the direction of the fibers. It is easiest to identify the direction of the fibers when the meat is raw.
Steak Salad FAQ
Yes, this recipe is gluten free if prepared as described.
Yes, but do not add the dressing until you’re prepared to eat the meal.
Yes. See freezing instructions above.
Yes, any lean cut steak will work.
Other Healthy Dinner Recipes
- BBQ Chicken Foil Pack– A simple, convenient way to prepare a juicy and flavorful dinner that will require basically no cleanup! Better yet, it is low-carb and keto friendly with only 6.8 net carbs per serving!
- Broccoli Salad with Bacon– A quick and easy side dish or lunch! This keto salad has about 4 net carbs per serving and is always a crowd-pleaser!
- Sausage and Veggies-This easy Air Fryer Sausage and Veggies recipe only requires 5 minutes of prep time and 10 minutes of cooking time. Even better, it is low-carb and keto friendly with less than 6 net carbs per serving!
- Air Fryer Steak Tips– Only two ingredients and come together in under five minutes! This is the perfect easy keto lunch or dinner!
- Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wrap– A super flavorful lunch or dinner recipe that is naturally keto-friendly, gluten-free, healthy, and easy to make ahead of time.
For the Steak
- 2 petite sirloin steaks
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
For the Dressing
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp honey or sugar free maple syrup if low carb
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
For the Salad
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup corn
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- ½ red onion, sliced
- ½ cup crumbled bleu cheese
- In a large ziplock bag or bowl, combine all steak ingredients together. Add the steak, then marinate the steak in the refrigerator for at least 6-8 hours for the best flavor and texture.
- Heat your grill to medium-high, then place the steak on the grill. Grill for 5 minutes, then flip and grill for another 1-2 minutes, or until cooked to your liking. Remove from the grill and set aside to rest.
- Meanwhile, combine all dressing ingredients in a bowl or mason jar and stir until combined.
- Slice your steak into ½ inch strips, then assemble your salads with the remaining ingredients. Drizzle with dressing and serve!
- You can use flank steak, new york strip, even prime rib for this recipe.
- The dressing is sweet and tangy, and pairs perfectly with the steak and other ingredients!
- I used frozen corn that was thawed out, but you can also use canned or even fresh grilled corn!
- Store leftovers for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
- The steak is honestly so delicious on it’s own, it would make for really good quesadillas, nachos, steak sandwiches, steak and eggs, etc.
- I used my Traeger grills set at 450 for this recipe, it yielded a medium-done steak. You can also use a grill pan or a simple skillet to the cook the steak.
Serving Size:1 large salad
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 610Total Fat: 32gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 1320mgCarbohydrates: 32gNet Carbohydrates: 22.1gFiber: 9.9gSugar: 13gProtein: 39g