This Homemade Peanut Butter Granola is loaded with healthy ingredients, and comes together in just a few minutes! You can use this granola for healthy fruit parfaits, smoothie bowls, or a crunchy snack!
Homemade granola is one of those recipes that often get overlooked. It is so easy to pickup a bag at the grocery, that we forget just how good the homemade version is. This granola features wholesome ingredients like oats, nut and cinnamon. It is perfect for a light snack, or an addition to your favorite breakfast!
Ingredients for Peanut Butter Granola
- Old Fashioned Oats: regular or gluten free
- Peanuts: dry roasted, honey roasted, or salted
- Pecans: whole or halves
- Peanut Butter
- Preserves or Jam: your favorite flavor, I love Strawberry
How do you make homemade granola?
- In a large mixing bowl combine the oats, nuts and cinnamon.
- In a smaller bowl combine the peanut butter, honey and preserves. Heat in 15 second increments un the microwave, stirring in between each cycle. When the peanut butter has melted enough to stir easily pour over the granola and nut mixture. Stir the mixture well until evenly coated.
- Turn the granola out on a large greased baking sheet. Make sure the granola is in a single layer. Bake at 350 degrees F
Is granola healthy?
Opinions on granola can be somewhat mixed. It is true that granola is traditional a mixture of oats and nuts, which is wholesome and filling. However, the controversy usually comes with how much sweetener is added, and other sugar filled ingredients like chocolate chips, or sweetened coconut flakes.
This recipe does use honey as a sweetener, as well as a small amount of fruit preserves. Though, I do find this granola to be mildly sweet, not overly sweet. You will find in the recipe card below I encourage you to do a taste test before baking the granola and making sure the sweetness meets your satisfaction.
How do you store granola?
Granola needs to be stored in an air tight container to stay fresh and crunchy. You do not have to store it in the refrigerator, you can keep it at room temperature for up to two weeks. Substitutions and Suggestions
Substitutions and Suggestions
- This recipe can easily be made gluten free by subbing gluten free oats for traditional oats.
- Use different nuts such as macadamia, pistachio or almonds to mix things up.
- You can use almond butter or sun butter if you want to make this peanut free.
- This recipe calls for honey as the sweetener, but you can use maple syrup, or if trying to limit carbs a sugar free liquid sweetener also works.
- Easily switch up the flavors from week to week by using a different variety of preserves. Think about your favorite peanut butter and jelly sandwich, strawberry, grape, blueberry all work well.
Other Healthy Snack Recipes
If you are like me and always on the hunt for nutritious grab and go recipes you will love these Chia Seed Pudding Parfaits! They can be made days in advance, in a variety of flavors and pack a big nutritional punch!
- Carrot Cake Chia Seed Pudding
- Healthy Mocha Chia Seed Pudding
- Peanut Butter Parfaits
- Lemon Cheesecake Parfaits
- Strawberry Oatmeal Smoothie
- 2 cups of Old Fashion Oats, I used gluten free oats
- 1/4 cup honey (more if you like it very sweet)
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup your favorite jelly, I used Strawberry
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 cup honey roasted peanuts
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 350
In a mixing bowl combine the honey, peanut butter, jelly, vanilla and cinnamon.
Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time until smooth.
Add oats, peanuts and pecans, stir until they are coated well.
Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray and spread granola evenly in a single layer bake 10 minutes, stir, bake 5 more minutes.
The mixture may seem soft when you remove it from the oven but it firms up as it cools.
Taste test and make sure the granola is as sweet as you like it, add additional for your taste.
Serving Size:About 1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 205Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 104mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 5gSugar: 14gProtein: 10g