Grilled Shrimp and Vegetables on kabobs are the perfect summer dinner! They are slightly spicy, super nutritious, and completely versatile for whatever summer vegetables your garden has to offer.
I am all about grilling season! I will take every opportunity I get to be outside when the weather is this beautiful. Plus, not having to heat up the kitchen with the oven is a huge bonus. These low carb shrimp kabobs have everything you need for an easy summer dinner on the patio! I loaded these shrimp skewers up with bell peppers, squash and onions because that is what my garden had to offer but if you want to try other vegetables, please do! I think mushrooms and tomatoes would also be wonderful!
These kabobs don’t have an elaborate marinade but sometimes simple is best! Just toss your vegetables in some olive oil and seasonings and they are good to go! If you are going for super easy and minimal cleanup, you can toss the shrimp and vegetables together in the same spice mixture but I wanted my shrimp to have a little kick so I did mine separate.
How to meal prep kabobs
These kabobs are great if you are looking for a meal prep dinner option! To prepare this meal ahead of time you can chop the vegetables at least three days ahead of time and then cover them with a damp rag and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. On the day you are ready to cook these, you can coat your vegetables and shrimp with oil and spices in the morning, pop them back in the airtight container in the refrigerator and when you get home all you have to do is fire up the grill and assemble your skewers! If you want to go as far as assembling your skewers ahead of time that works too!
How to make grilled shrimp and vegetable kabobs:
Start off by seasoning your shrimp and chopped vegetables with some olive oil, coarse sea salt, and black pepper. I used summer squash, zucchini, white onion, and red, yellow, and green bell peppers. If you want to make this a low carb dish, replace two of the bell peppers with mushrooms.
Once you have coated your ingredients with oil, salt, and pepper, separate your vegetable and shrimp into different containers. On your shrimp, sprinkle on cumin, cayenne, garlic powder, and onion powder. And on your vegetables sprinkle on garlic powder and onion powder, or your favorite seasoning mix. If you are using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes to prevent them from burning and splintering.
Shrimp cook very quickly so make sure to set a timer and check them. They typically take about 2-3 minutes per side on the grill. You’ll be able to tell when the shrimp are done because they’ll turn pink and opaque. Once you have assembled your kabobs, fire up your grill (or grill pan) and start cooking!
Kabob and grilling tips
- Clean and oil your grate before cooking to help prevent sticking
- Preheat your grill before placing the kabobs
- Soak wooden skewers for 30 minutes before assembling
- Cut vegetable in a comparable size to your protein for even cooking
- Place ingredients close together on the skewers
- Cooking oil for the grill
- 1 pound shrimp (about 18 raw jumbo shrimp)
- 2 squash (a mix of summer squash and zucchini)
- 1 white onion
- 2-3 bell peppers (a mix of red, yellow, green or orange)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 7-10 metal or wooden skewers
- Preheat the grill (or grill pan) to medium-high. Clean grill with brush and grease generously with oil to prevent sticking
- Soak wooden skewers for 30 minutes to prevent burning and splintering
- Chop your vegetable into bite-size chunks, about 1½"
- Season shrimp with about half of the olive oil, ½ teaspoon cumin, ½ teaspoon cayenne, 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder and 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- Season vegetables with the rest of the olive oil, 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder and 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- Assemble your skewers and grill 3-4 minutes of each side or until shrimp is opaque and vegetables are fork-tender or starting to brown slightly.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 113Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 106mgSodium: 597mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 12g