This one pan Easy Chicken Piccata is low carb and keto-friendly! Tender chicken is sautéed and paired with a white wine and lemon sauce, pair with your favorite side for an easy weeknight meal!
Chicken Piccata was our go to “nice” dinner in college. This was the meal we made for special occasions or when we needed a bit of comfort food. It is an easy meal with relatively inexpensive ingredients, but it is always impressive.
This Keto Chicken Piccata takes everything you love about this classic dish, but reinvents it into a low carb, keto-friendly format. Instead of breading and frying the chicken, it is coated with a delicious almond flour, parmesan crust and pan seared until golden. The white wine lemon sauce is a cinch to prepare and when the chicken and sauce are combined magic happens!
Pair this chicken with mashed cauliflower, or my favorite green beans for a real treat! This is a dish you won’t be able to make just once!
Ingredients Needed for Keto Chicken Piccata
As always, this is a quick overview of the ingredients you will need for this recipe. For the complete recipe just keep scrolling:
- Salted butter and olive oil: the combination provides the best taste and texture.
- Chicken breast: Sliced and pounded thin.
- Spices: salt, pepper and herbs.
- Almond flour: you can also use pork rind panko for a crunchier dish, but I prefer the almond flour.
- Parmesan cheese: grated, not shredded parmesan works best for this recipe.
- White wine: a dry white wine is best for this recipe. Chicken broth will work as a substitute.
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice and lemon wedges for serving.
- Capers: brined capers can be found near the olives and jarred artichokes at your local grocery.
- Heavy Cream: this is a slightly uncommon ingredient with chicken piccata, however a dash of heavy cream helps to mellow the lemon and create a perfectly creamy, savory sauce.
How do you make Easy Chicken Piccata?
While your dinner guests will think this is a meal you slaved over, it is actually quite simple to prepare!
- In a bowl combine the almond flour, parmesan and herbs. Dredge the thin chicken breast in the mixture and make sure it is coated well on both sides.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in the skillet. Sear the chicken about 3 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Transfer the browned chicken onto a plate.
- In the same pan add the wine, scraping the pan to deglaze it. Add the lemon juice, capers, heavy cream and remaining butter to the skillet and stir. When the sauce has reduced add the chicken back to the skillet.
What should I serve with Chicken Piccata?
These are some of my favorite keto-friendly side dish recipes:
- Keto Red Lobster Biscuits or Keto Three Cheese Basil Biscuits
- Green Bean Almondine or Mashed Cauliflower
- Garlic Butter Roasted Cauliflower or Air Fryer Garlic Butter Broccoli
How to Make the Best Keto Chicken Piccata
- Make sure you use thin chicken breast. Take a look at the photos to see how I cut a large chicken breast thin sections that make the best pan seared chicken!
- Take care to be sure the chicken is breaded completely on each side.
- Allow the sauce to reduce and thicken a bit for the best flavor.
Other Keto Chicken Recipes
- One Pan Cheesy Jalapeño Chicken
- Easy Lemon Chicken
- Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats
- Sicilian Chicken Soup
Easy Chicken Piccata
This Easy Chicken Piccata is low carb and keto-friendly! Tender chicken is sautéed and paired with a white wine and lemon sauce, pair with your favorite side for an easy weeknight meal!
- 3 large boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter (not all used at once)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream (more if desired)
- Slice the thick chicken breast as if you are butterflying, but cut all the way through. Place plastic wrap over the chicken and pound until thin.
- In a bowl combine the almond flour, parmesan and herbs.
- Dredge the thin chicken breast in the mixture and make sure it is coated well on both sides. Let the breaded chicken sit in the fridge 10 minutes to make sure the coating adhears well.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the butter and all of the olive oil in the skillet. Sear the chicken about 3 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Transfer the browned chicken onto a plate.
- In the same pan add the wine, scraping the pan to deglaze it. Add the lemon juice, capers, heavy cream and remaining butter to the skillet and stir. When the sauce has reduced slightly add the chicken back to the skillet. and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Top with lemon wedges, parmesan and parsley if desired.
If you cannot fit all of the chicken in a skillet with the sauce at the same time, you can warm it through on the skillet in batches and place in a baking dish to serve.
Alternatively, you can put all of the chicken in the baking dish, pour the sauce over and bake at 350 for 10 minutes.
**Note: if you do not cut and pound the chicken thin it will require additional cooking time.
Serving Size:1 chicken breast + 2 tablespoons sauce
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 293Total Fat: 17.9gCholesterol: 80.7mgSodium: 353mgCarbohydrates: 3.1gNet Carbohydrates: 2.6gFiber: 0.5gSugar: 0.7gProtein: 19.9g