Chicken Spaghetti is a hearty dinner made with no cream of soup! This from-scratch casserole is the perfect family friendly dinner recipe!
Chicken Spaghetti is always a crowd pleaser! It is a heart pasta dish filled with chicken, peppers, tomatoes and a delicious creamy sauce that does not require any canned cream soup. This is the ultimate family friendly dish because it makes a huge casserole that easily feeds a crowd!
Ingredients for Chicken Spaghetti Bake
- Shredded Chicken
- Spaghetti Noodles: I use Barilla Gluten Free, but any variety works
- Vegetables: Bell Peppers, Onion, Celery, Garlic
- Chicken Broth
- Cream Cheese
- Heavy Cream
- Canned tomatoes with green chilis: also called Ro-Tel
- Shredded Cheese
- Spices: garlic powder, chili powder, onion powder, cumin, salt and pepper
How to make Chicken Spaghetti with no cream of mushroom
To make chicken spaghetti without any cream of soup you just need to follow the steps below. You will find detailed instructions in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post, but this is a general overview.
- Sauté the vegetables in butter until tender. Add to a large mixing bowl with the shredded chicken and cooked spaghetti noodles.
- In the same skillet combine the broth, milk, cream cheese, heavy cream, spices and part of the cheese and whisk over medium low heat until a thick, rich cheese sauce forms. Stir in the canned tomatoes.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the chicken and noodles, toss well. Pour into a greased 9×13 baking dish and top with cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 20-25 minutes.
Is this good for meal prep?
Absolutely. Truly, this is an ideal meal prep dish because it makes a large amount, great for meal prepping an entire family’s lunches. It can also be made ahead of time and baked just before serving.
Alternatively, you can prepare and freeze for later (instructions below) which makes this a great dish to give to friends who are expecting or convalescing.
Can you freeze chicken casserole?
Certainly. If you wish to freeze this dish I suggest assembling completely in a freezer and oven safe dish, except for the shredded cheese on top. Remove the casserole from the freezer the night before to thaw in the refrigerator.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and top with the shredded cheese. Cover with foil and bake 25 minutes. Uncover and bake at additional 10 minute intervals until warmed through. Remember, the ingredients have already been cooked, you are simply warming the dish through.
How do you reheat chicken casserole?
- If reheating single portion sizes, place on a microwaveable plate and heat in 30 second increments until warmed through.
- If reheating the already cooked casserole as a whole preheat the oven to 325 degrees and cover with foil. Heat the covered casserole for 25 minutes, then check and continue checking every 10 minutes until warmed through. The warming time will vary based on the size dish, how cold your refrigerator kept the casserole and how full the dish is.
Other Gluten Free Dinner Recipes
- Gluten Free Broccoli Penne
- Easy Keto Taco Skillet
- The BEST Shrimp and Grits
- Slow Cooker White Bean Chicken Chili
For the Casserole
- 4 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 (12 ounce) package Barilla Gluten Free Spaghetti, cooked al dente (about 7 minutes)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
For the Cheese Sauce
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
For the Topping
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Melt the butter over medium heat in a large deep skillet or Dutch oven. Sauté the bell peppers, onion, celery and garlic for 7-8 minutes stirring occasionally.
Remove from skillet and add to a large mixing bowl, set aside.
Add the broth, milk, cream cheese and heavy cream to the skillet, whisk until the cream cheese has melted.
Stir in the shredded cheddar, undrained can of tomatoes and spices. Allow mixture to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce starts to thicken.
In the large mixing bowl with the vegetables add the cooked chicken, cooked spaghetti and cheese sauce, stir well.
Pour the chicken spaghetti into a greased 9x13 casserole dish and top with the remaining shredded cheddar.
Bake 20-25 minutes.
See post notes for freezing and reheating instructions.
Serving Size:About 1 heaping cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 524Total Fat: 25gCholesterol: 119mgSodium: 981mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 5gSugar: 6gProtein: 34g