This Mexican Lasagna is a kid-friendly, gluten free casserole that is loaded with taco meat, beans and cheese!
We love Mexican in our house. Several nights a week we have either One Pan Cheesy Fajita Chicken, Keto Taco Pizza or Chicken Chimichangas! But I was ready to make something new this week, so I came up with this recipe! This easy Taco Bake is packed with taco meat, beans, corn and loads of cheese. This dish features corn tortillas so it is naturally gluten free!
This is also a wonderful dish for meal prep. You can easily make it ahead of time, and it makes a substantial amount so it is great for take to work lunches. No matter how to eat it, your entire family is sure to love it!
Ingredients for Mexican Casserole
To make this taco casserole with corn tortillas, you’ll need the following:
- Ground beef
- Taco seasoning- I use this homemade seasoning recipe
- Tomatoes with green chiles
- Refried beans
- Black beans
- Cheddar cheese- shredded
- Sour cream
- Corn tortillas
Mexican Lasagna recipe
First, brown the ground beef, then stir in the tomatoes with green chilies and taco seasoning. Let mixture simmer until all liquid is gone. Next, spray a 9×13-inch casserole dish with cooking spray. Layer the Mexican Lasagna (I’ve listed the order you should layer the ingredients in the recipe card below). Once you’ve layered your ingredients, bake for 30 minutes until it is gold and bubbly!
Top with your favorite Mexican toppings like salsa, guacamole, and don’t forget the chips!
Is this taco bake good for meal prep?
Absolutely! Simply assemble the taco casserole as directed, cover it with foil, and refrigerate until ready to bake. When you preheat the oven remove the dish from the refrigerator so it has a chance to come to room temp before putting in a hot oven.
What should I serve with this Mexican Lasagna?
Serve this as your main dish, but don’t forget about the sides! Give this Cheddar Roasted Broccoli, Air Fryer Baby Potatoes or Avocado Bacon Dip a try! If you’re low carb, these Zucchini Tortillas are a great choice! For dessert, try Pina Colada Soft Serve, Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies or Keto Fruit Pizza!
Can I use a different meat in this Mexican Lasagna?
You can! Ground beef, ground turkey, or ground chicken are all very good options for this recipe. Alternatively, you can use shredded chicken or shredded beef if you wish, just make sure there is no extra moisture.
Tips for making Mexican Casserole
- When assembling the lasagna, your tortillas may overlap some. That’s perfectly fine!
- For a spicy version, switch the cheddar for pepper jack cheese!
- You can easily make this dish vegetarian by omitting the meat. Add an extra can of beans to make up for it.
Toppings for Mexican Lasagna
Truly, the options are endless! My family enjoys salsa, hot sauce, sour cream and avocado. Here are a few other ideas:
- Sliced sweet peppers or bell peppers
- Chopped red onions
- Fresh tomatoes
- Sliced radish
How to Store and Reheat Mexican Lasagna
To store this taco casserole, place in a plastic or glass container with an airtight lid and place in the fridge. This casserole will stay fresh for up to four days. To reheat, just place on a microwave safe dish and warm in the microwave in 30 second increments.
More Mexican Recipes:
- 1 pound ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 (10 ounce) can of tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can refried beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 10-12 corn tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef. Drain off any grease.
- Add the undrained tomatoes with green chilies and taco seasoning, stir mixture until seasoning has dissolved.
- Let mixture simmer until all liquid is gone, about 6 minutes. Then remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, drain and rinse the black beans and corn. Set aside. Open refried beans and set aside.
- Spray a 9x13-inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Begin your casserole with a base layer of corn tortillas (4-6 depending on the size).
- Then, layer the rest of the ingredients in this order: refried beans, taco meat, corn, black beans, sour cream, then cheese.
- Repeat, until your fillings are gone.
- Bake 30 minutes, let cool 5 minutes before serving.
For a spicy version, substitute the cheddar for pepper jack cheese.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 390Total Fat: 17.3gSaturated Fat: 8.9gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 606mgCarbohydrates: 31.7gFiber: 7.9gSugar: 2.5gProtein: 27g