Dinner just got a lot easier! These Air Fryer Steak Tacos are a game changer! Tender flank steak is perfectly cooked and paired with avocado, salsa verde, and cotija cheese!
Taco night is always a happy night at our house! Shrimp tacos, chicken tacos, low-carb tacos, you name it, we enjoy it! These Air Fryer Steak Tacos were absolutely essential because we became addicted to steak tacos over the summer and we needed a better way to quickly cook them inside during the cooler months. With about 20 minutes of cook time the air fryer provides perfectly tender and flavorful tacos in a flash!
This recipe does require you to marinate the steak, however, that is really the only significant prep. You just need to take 5 minutes the night before to toss the steak in the oil, lime, and spices. I promise it is 5 minutes well spent!
Ingredients for Steak Tacos
As always, this is a quick overview of the ingredients needed to make absolutely amazing steak tacos in the air fryer! For the complete, printable recipe, simply scroll to the recipe card below.
- Flank Steak: Other cuts like skirt, round, or other lean, thin beef cuts could work too, but flank steak is recommended
- Spices: garlic powder, chili powder, onion powder, salt
- Oil: Any neutral oil, such as olive oil, avocado, or canola oil, will work in this recipe.
- Produce: lime, red onion, avocado, and cilantro. Of course, you can go wild here, and add whatever toppings you enjoy, such as pico de Gallo, radishes, salsa, and more.
- Tortillas: corn, flour, low carb or veggie-based tortillas like these zucchini tortillas work well, it is simply up to your own personal preference.
- Cheese: this is totally optional, some people skip cheese on steak tacos, but I love adding cotija cheese because the salty, creamy flavor balances the rich steak so well.
How to Make Steak Tacos
Marinate the Steak
Combine the marinade ingredients in a large bowl or gallon ziplock bag. Add the steak and toss to coat. Refrigerate overnight or for at least 8 hours. This is ESSENTIAL; flank steak has to be marinated; otherwise, it has a tough and chewy texture. Marinating for 8-12 hours is considered ideal. You don’t want to marinate longer than 24 hours as the acid will break down tissue too much, changing the texture of the steak.
Air Fry the Steak
Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees. Remove the flank steak from the marinade and carefully place it in the air fryer basket. Air fry for 15 minutes, then flip and continue to air fry for another 5-7 minutes until done to your liking. 5 minutes will yield more rare meat, and 7 minutes will be more medium-rare. After the steak is done air frying, transfer the meat to a cutting board and tent with aluminum foil, allowing to rest for at least 10 minutes.
Prepare the Tortillas
Meanwhile, prepare your taco toppings and stack and wrap your corn tortillas inside aluminum foil,
making sure the tortillas are completely covered by the foil. While the steak is resting, place the aluminum foil-wrapped tortillas in your air fryer basket and air fry at 400 degrees for 2-3 minutes until warmed. I suggest doing this regardless of the type of tortilla you use, may it be corn, flour, plant-based or low carb.
Assemble and Serve
Slice into small pieces for your tacos after rest time. Assemble the tacos in the warm tortillas with the salsa verde, avocado, red onion, cotija, and cilantro. Don’t forget a squeeze of fresh lime juice to really make the flavors pop!
This is a great meal to serve with Mexican rice, or Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice makes a great low-carb, plant-based option. I also love to serve these easy beef tacos with seasoned black beans; you can put the leftovers together and make an amazing steak taco bowl.
- FRIDGE : Store the tortillas, meat, and filling separately to prevent anything from getting soggy. Allow the steak to cool completely and store it in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- FREEZER: I suggest only freezing the steak for this recipe, and not the toppings. After cooling to room temperature, transfer the steak to a freezer-safe container and enjoy it within 3 months for the best texture.
- REHEATING: Warm the leftovers in the microwave for 2 minutes at 300 degrees F or until warm. You can also microwave in 20-second increments at 50% power until warmed to your desired level. Avoid high heat as it will dry out the steak.
Flank Steak Cooking Chart
To ensure your steak is cooked exactly how you want it, use an instant read thermometer to ensure it has reached your preferred level of doneness. After you remove the steak from the air fryer remember that the temperature will rise a few degrees while resting. Here’s a temperature guide to temperatures and doneness:
- Medium Rare: 135 degrees F or 57 degrees C
- Medium: 145 degrees F or 63 degrees C
- Medium Well: 150 degrees F or 66 degrees C
- Well: 160 degrees F or 71 degrees C
Flank steak is my preferred cut of meat for steak tacos. However, skirt steak is also a good option.
Black beans, pinto beans, rice, and salad are all great options!
No, leave the flank steak in one large piece.
When ready to cook, heat a grill to high heat (approximately 400 degrees).
Place the steak fatty side down and cook for approximately 6 minutes. Flip and cook for an additional 5-6 minutes.*
*Use a meat thermometer to determine when to remove your steak.
Follow this as a guide: Medium Rare: 135 degrees F or 57 degrees C
Medium: 145 degrees F or 63 degrees C
Medium Well: 150 degrees F or 66 degrees C
You can find the complete nutritional information just below the recipe, including the calories, protein, carbohydrates, fiber, sodium, and cholesterol.
Steak Recipes You’ll Love
- Air Fryer Steak: this steak is ready in a flash and pairs perfectly with the compound butter in the recipe. It is my base recipe for all sorts of things like nachos or pasta.
- Steak Quesadillas: the ultimate cheesy, crispy delight that is as easy as it is delicious.
- My Favorite Steak Salad: a hearty salad even your biggest meat eater will enjoy.
- Garlic Butter Steak Bites: a magical one-pan entree featuring sirloin steak, herbs, and black pepper that never has leftovers.
- 1 ½ lbs flank steak
- 2 tbsp oil (avocado or canola)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
For the Tacos
- 12 small tortillas (corn, low carb, or flour)
- ½ red onion, sliced
- ½ cup Cotija cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup salsa verde
- 1 large (or 2 medium) avocado, sliced
- Chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a large bowl or gallon ziplock bag. Add the steak and toss to coat. Refrigerate overnight or for at least 8 hours.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees. Remove the flank steak from the marinade and carefully place it in the air fryer basket. Air fry for 15 minutes, then flip and continue to air fry for another 5-7 minutes until done to your liking. 5 minutes will yield more rare meat, and 7 minutes will be more medium-rare.
- Meanwhile, prepare your taco toppings and stack and wrap your corn tortillas inside aluminum foil, making sure the tortillas are completely covered by the foil.
- After the steak is done air frying, transfer the meat to a cutting board and tent with aluminum foil, allowing it to rest for at least 10 minutes. Slice into small pieces for your tacos after rest time.
- While the steak is resting, place the aluminum foil-wrapped tortillas in your air fryer basket and air fry at 400 degrees for 2-3 minutes until warmed.
- Assemble your tacos, garnish with cilantro if desired, and serve!
This recipe can be made low-carb and keto-friendly by using low-carb tortillas such as Carb Balance or plant-based tortillas such as these zucchini tortillas.
Serving Size:2 loaded tacos (nutrition calculated with carb balance street taco tortillas)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 336Total Fat: 18.2gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 659mgCarbohydrates: 25gNet Carbohydrates: 6gFiber: 19gSugar: 1.4gProtein: 33g