This Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan is crispy, cheesy, and ready in a fraction of the time!
Chicken Parmesan is one of those perfect comfort foods. Crispy chicken cutlets are perfectly breaded and smothered in warm marinara and melted mozzarella; what is not to love? Typically, this is a recipe that creates quite a bit of time and a lot of dishes! There is the breading, the frying, assembling in a casserole dish, and baking. It is pretty labor-intensive! The air fryer creates a perfect shortcut that saves time and dishes without sacrificing flavor. This is a recipe your entire family will love!
Why you’ll Love it:
- Versatile: This is a great dish to customize based on your preferences. You can easily make this dish gluten-free, low carb, and keto-friendly if needed!
- Faster: This method is much faster and requires a fraction of the total time than the traditional method of frying on the stovetop and baking in the oven. Not to mention it saves a ton of dishes!
- Prep Ahead: You can make this recipe go even faster by breading the chicken ahead of time. It keeps in the fridge if needed so you can have dinner on the table in no time!
Ingredients for Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
As always, this is a quick overview of the ingredients needed to make this crispy Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan. For the complete recipe just scroll to the printable card below.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken breast: instead of using typical large, thick chicken breast we will cut them lengthwise into thinner sections. If you are unsure how to do this place your chicken on a cutting board and slice the chicken as if you are butterflying it, but cut all the way through.
- Eggs: these are needed to help the breaded adhere to the chicken.
- Flour and Panko Bread crumbs: you can use regular, gluten-free or almond flour for this recipe. In place of breadcrumbs you can use pork rind panko for a lower carb version.
- Parmesan Cheese: opt for grated parmesan because it provides a perfect crispy crust.
- Spices: Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and salt. Remember, measurements for everything are provided below.
- Marinara: Your favorite store-bought or homemade marinara will do.
- Cheese: shredded or fresh mozzarella is used in this recipe.
How to Make Air Fryer Chicken
In addition to the ingredients listed above, you will need an air fryer, bowls, and tongs. I’ve documented the entire process, so you will find step-by-step photos below, as well as a video that walks you through the process. Check out this air fryer chicken parmesan recipe below:
Bread the Chicken
Combine the flour, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and salt in a shallow dish. In a second bowl, whisk the eggs and set aside. In a third shallow bowl, combine the breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese. Next, dip the chicken in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess. Transfer the chicken to the eggs, allowing any excess to drip. Finally, dip the chicken in the breadcrumb mixture, pressing until completely coated.
Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F. for 3 minutes. Add the breaded chicken in a single layer to the air fryer basket and lightly spray with oil. Cook 5 minutes, flip and cook an additional 5-6 minutes, until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
Spread 2 tablespoons of marinara sauce over the chicken and top with ¼ cup of the shredded mozzarella cheese. Cook 1-2 more minutes in the air fryer or until the cheese has melted.
Garnish with fresh parsley and serve the air fryer chicken parm immediately. You can serve this with vegetables such as Smashed Broccoli, Potatoes, or a great Salad. Another side dish option is pasta. You may enjoy this pesto parmesan pasta or this Garlic and Herb Pasta that cooks in no time.
Storage and Reheating
- Allow the chicken to cool completely before storing the leftovers in an airtight container. Store the leftover chicken parmesan in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
- To reheat the chicken, preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees F for 3 minutes. Warm the chicken 3-4 minutes until heated through. Alternatively, you can use a convection oven but it will take closer to 15 minutes to reheat the chicken.
- I do not suggest freezing this recipe once it has been cooked.
Use a meat thermometer to determine when the chicken is done. You will need to achieve an internal temp of 165 degrees F.
No, you need to cook the chicken first so the panko mixture gets nice and crispy. Then, add the toppings. This will greatly improve the taste and texture of the dish.
Typically canned tomato sauce isn’t seasoned with ingredients like garlic, basil, or black pepper. It is also thinner than marinara. I suggest sticking to marinara for the best results.
Air frying does provide a healthier alternative to frying in oil. You can find the complete nutritional information, including calories, protein, carbohydrates, fiber, and sodium.
Other Air Fryer Recipes
- The best, super tender chicken thighs: honestly, you won’t want to prepare them any other way!
- Air Fryer Parmesan Crusted Chicken: this also happens to be low-carb!
- The perfect Crispy Chicken Sandwiches: great for meal prep!
- BBQ Chicken Wings: super easy, and just in case this isn’t your preferred flavor, you’ve got to try these Jerk Chicken Wings.
- 2 chicken breasts cut in half lengthwise into thin cutlets
- ½ cup all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup Italian breadcrumbs*
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- *Keto, low carb and gluten-free substitutions listed below.
- Combine the flour, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and salt in a shallow bowl. In a second bowl, whisk the eggs and set aside. In the third shallow bowl, combine the breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese.
- Dip the chicken in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess. Transfer the chicken to the eggs, allowing any excess to drip. Finally, dip the chicken in the breadcrumb mixture, pressing until completely coated.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F. for 3 minutes. Add the breaded chicken to the air fryer basket and lightly spray with oil. Cook 5 minutes, flip and cook an additional 5-6 minutes, until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Spread two tablespoons of marinara over the chicken and top with ¼ cup of the shredded mozzarella. Cook 1-2 more minutes in the air fryer or until the cheese has melted.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve!
- To make this recipe gluten-free: substitute gluten-free flour and gluten-free breadcrumbs.
- To make this low-carb substitute, almond flour for the flour and pork rind panko for the breadcrumbs. The low carb nutrition is listed below:
- Serving size: 1 Chicken Parmesan: 367 calories, total fat 17.3, cholesterol 136, sodium 999mg, total carbs 6.9g, fiber 18g, sugars 3, protein 34, Net Carbs: 5.1
Serving Size:1 Chicken Parmesan
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 391Total Fat: 8.6gCholesterol: 185mgSodium: 901mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 2.8gSugar: 3.5gProtein: 44g