Learn how to make homemade chicken nuggets in the air fryer that are perfectly crispy and crunchy! These easy air fryer chicken nuggets are also low carb and gluten free!
Chicken Nuggets in Air Fryer
I am completely obsessed with my Air Fryer. Seriously, is there any easier way to prepare delicious food? Everything you put in there comes out perfectly crispy! Don’t believe me? Try these Air Fryer Buffalo Wings, Green Beans or Carrot Fries and I guarantee you’ll become a convert, too!
So I was super excited to use my trusty air fryer when my nephew told me he NEEDED chicken nuggets. I had made Air Fryer Chicken Tenders before (heck, I’ve even made Steak Rolls in my air fryer) but I had never made chicken nuggets in the air fryer. I knew I had to step up to the task, and may I say, the results were fantastic! These Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets are crispy, satisfying and as an added bonus, they’re gluten free, grain free and keto!
Ingredients for Homemade Chicken Nuggets
As always, here is a quick overview of the ingredients needed for our Air Fryer Chicken. For the complete recipe, just scroll to the bottom of this page.
- Chicken breast- cut into bite size pieces
- Egg- beaten
- Mayonnaise- any type you have will work fine
- Almond flour– you can also use this pork rind panko. If you are not gluten free or low carb, feel free to use all purpose flour
- Parmesan cheese- use the grated or powdered type
- Spices- paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, garlic salt and Italian seasoning
How long to cook Chicken Nuggets in the Air Fryer?
You will cook your chicken nuggets in the air fryer for about 8-9 minutes total. First, place a layer of nuggets in the basket of your air fryer (be sure that you don’t put too many in the basket, or they will not cook evenly) and spray with cooking oil. Next, you will cook them first for 4 minutes, then flip them (you can add more cooking oil if required) and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes, or until your chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
What temp do I cook Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets?
This air fryer chicken will be cooked at 390 degrees F.
How to reheat chicken nuggets?
If you are reheating your air fryer chicken right from the refrigerator, then you can either warm in the microwave in 30 second increments, or you may also warm them up in your air fryer again (or in the oven). To warm in the air fryer, cook for 3 minutes at 350 degrees, then flip and cook for an additional 3 minutes. If using the oven, bake for 8-12 minutes at 450 degrees. Your nuggets will remain fresh for up to four days in the refrigerator.
These air fryer nuggets can also be easily frozen. To freeze, first place your chicken on a sheet pan and freeze, then transfer to a freezer bag. If you are reheating from frozen in the air fryer, warm your air fryer to 350 degrees and cook for 8 minutes, then flip and cook for an additional 8 minutes. To reheat frozen chicken nuggets in the oven, warm to 450 degrees and bake for 11- 15 minutes, or until they are warm enough for you. These air fryer nuggets can be frozen for up to three months.
What should I serve with chicken nuggets?
I love a good dipping sauce- try this Sugar Free Barbecue, Sugar Free Ketchup or Honey Mustard. After my nephew gave me the thumbs up for this recipe, I brought these to a barbecue, but you know I couldn’t only come with one thing! I also brought these Bacon Cheddar Cauliflower Tots, Chorizo Sausage Balls, Keto Three Cheese Biscuits and Keto Kitchen Sink Cookies!
Other Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Pizza Zucchini Boats
- Air Fryer Keto Mozzarella Sticks
- Keto Jalapeno Poppers
- Air Fryer Brownie
- Air Fryer Mushrooms
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast, cut into 10 chicken tenders, then cut those into 4 nuggets (40 nuggets total)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons butter (only needed if baking, not for the air fryer)
For the Keto Breading
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- In one shallow bowl combine the egg and mayonnaise, beat with a fork until it is completely combined. Set aside.
- In another shallow bowl combine the Keto Breading ingredients. Dip each sliced chicken nugget into the egg mixture, then dredge in the breading. Make sure the chicken is completely coated.
- Preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees F according to the directions. Place several of the nuggets in the air fryer basket, making sure not to crowd them.
- Spray the tops of the nuggets with cooking oil. Cook for 4 minutes. Flip the chicken and spray with cooking oil (if needed) and cook an additional 4-5 minutes until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
Remember, the cooking times can vary based on your machine and how thick each nugget is. Be sure to check as they cook and remove from the air fryer when they have reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.