These savory Fajita Veggies are the perfect low carb side for your favorite grilled meats! You can also wrap them in a warm tortilla for excellent Vegetarian Fajitas!
What are Fajita Veggies?
If you’ve ordered fajitas in a restaurant and have heard the sizzling and popping of delicious meats and veggies you totally understand why fajitas are such a beloved dish! Typically fajita veggies include fresh onion and bell peppers served along side a protein. They are sautéed or grilled until tender in a savory spice mix that usually includes chili powder, paprika, and cumin and a good dose of lime juice!
Today I’m sharing my go to fajita veggie dish that I often serve along side anything from grilled pork tenderloin, shrimp, or my favorite Jalapeño Lime Salmon.
Fajita Veggie Ingredients
As always, this is a quick overview of the ingredients you need to make this easy veggie dish. To get the complete, printable recipe just keep scrolling.
- Vegetables: sliced bell peppers (use a variety of colors for the best flavors!), red onion, fresh jalapeños, garlic, and mushrooms.
- Oil: olive, avocado oil, butter or ghee will work in this recipe.
- Fajita seasoning: this is the blend I use. If you don’t want to make your own mix you can use taco seasoning.
- Lime: grab a fresh lime for the best results!
How to Make the Best Fajita Veggies
- Slice your veggies into nice thin strips, it will be easier to stuff them in tortillas and you will get a great mix in each bite!
- Don’t skimp on the lime. Lime is usually a signature flavor in fajitas, it is part of what sets a veggie taco apart for a veggie fajita.
- Try not to overcrowd your pan too much, you want there to be room for everything to cook properly.
I use a fajita seasoning blend for this recipe, if you prefer, you can use taco seasoning. The Fajita seasoning blend I reccomend is listed below. You will need 2 tablespoons of this blend for the fajita veggies. You can use this on chicken, steak, seafood or any other veggies you would like.
Fajita seasoning blend
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
What can I do with these veggies?
Wrap these fajita veggies in a warm corn tortilla and top with sour cream, cheese and salsa for an amazing vegetarian fajita! This is personally my favorite way to enjoy these veggies. However, they are also great a variety of other ways:
- Pair with this Jalapeño Lime Salmon for a complete, heart healthy meal.
- Serve along side these delicious Chimichangas.
- A Chicken Fajita Lettuce Wrap is always a healthy, hearty lunch option!
Other Mexican Recipes
Best Vegetarian Recipes
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, freshly minced
- 2 cups bell pepper
- 1 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and sliced
- 3 tablespoons fajita seasoning*
- 1/2 fresh lime, sliced
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat, then add in your olive oil. Add the garlic, peppers, onion, mushrooms and jalapenos. Sauté the vegetables for 2-3 minutes.
Add the seasonings and toss to coat everything evenly with the spices. Cook an additional 4-5 minutes, until cooked through.
- Lastly, squeeze about half a fresh lime (or 1/4 quarter if you are sensitive to citrus) over the fajita veggies the last minute of cooking. It will pop, sizzle and steam!
Serving Size:About 1 cup cooked veggies
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 71Total Fat: 3.8gSodium: 170mgCarbohydrates: 9.3gNet Carbohydrates: 6.6gFiber: 2.7gSugar: 4gProtein: 1.7g