This Classic Avocado Toast is the perfect breakfast or post-workout meal! It is packed with protein, carbs and healthy fats to keep you feeling energized and full until your next meal.
We’re going back to the basics today! Classic Avocado Toast, smashed avocado with some salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes, crispy bacon, and a runny egg. When you are craving a full spread for breakfast but you are short on time, cooking for one or just trying to keep it a smidge healthier this is just for you!
I am a serious fan of avocado toast but this one definitely takes the cake when it comes to breakfast toast! I spread a hefty layer of avocado, then layer that with perfectly crispy bacon and top it with a beautifully runny egg. How can your day be bad when you start it with a meal like this!
Is Avocado Toast Healthy?
Avocado toast is one of my personal go-to’s for a post-workout snack! The main necessities in your post-workout food are protein, carbs, and fat. This simple meal has it all!
If you are using a whole grain bread that is high in fiber, this is also the perfect meal to get your day started! It has plenty of protein and carbs to keep you full and energized, healthy fat to keep your blood sugar stable and fiber which also keeps you full until lunch!
How do I Make Avocado Toast?
Making this classic avocado toast is so simple! Just cut your avocado into fourths, remembering there is a pit inside. Sometimes I use a fourth of the avocado on my toast and other times I use an entire half. It is truly up to you and the size of your avocado! After you have decided how much avocado you want, scoop it out of the flesh and into a bowl.
Mash up your avocado with a fork sprinkling with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to your desired taste. Spread your avocado mash onto your toasted slice of bread, top it with a slice of bacon cut in half and your egg. Tada! It is super simple and can completely be customized to your liking. If you aren’t a fan of runny eggs, scrambled works just as well!
What to put on Avocado Toast?
Avocado pairs well with so many ingredients, the options are truly endless! Some excellent ideas are: crisp bacon, scrambled or fried eggs, feta cheese, and crushed red pepper. You may also like these topping ideas:
- Shredded Chicken: great for a heartier meal, like a lunch option.
- Smoked Salmon: great protein boost.
- Sautéed mushrooms: amazing flavor.
- Sliced tomatoes: freshly sliced tomatoes or heirlooms.
- Fresh Mozzarella: pair the avocado, mozzarella, tomato and balsamic reduction for a great dish.
- Sprouts or microgreens: added nutrients and a flavor boost!
- Herbs: above all don’t forget to season the toast! Freshly ground salt, pepper and herbs are unbeatable flavor makers!
Avocado Toast Recipes
- Smoked Salmon Avocado Toast – 2 Ways
- Avocado Toast With Feta Cheese And Balsamic Glaze
- Avocado Toast with Beans + Tomato
- Southwestern Avocado Toast
Other Healthy Recipes
- 1 slice of whole grain bread
- 1/4 avocado
- 1 slice bacon, cooked until crisp
- 1 egg, cooked your desired method.
- pinch of salt, pepper & red pepper flakes
- Toast your slice of bread. While the bread is in the toaster mashup 1/4 of avocado in a bowl with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to your liking.
- Spread the avocado mash on toast. Top with a slice of bacon, and cooked egg.
*If gluten-free substitute whole-grain bread for certified gluten-free bread
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 247Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 117mgSodium: 539mgCarbohydrates: 26gNet Carbohydrates: 20gFiber: 6gSugar: 2gProtein: 17g