This Air Fryer Grilled Cheese makes for an easy meal in just 10 minutes! Gouda and Havarti make for a delicious, gooey sandwich with perfectly crispy sourdough bread!
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
You guys know I will cook anything and everything possible in my Air Fryer. Especially quick dinners like Chicken Alfredo Zucchini Boats, Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast or Chicken Wings. This week was no different! We all were craving some comfort food, and what’s better than Grilled Cheese?!
Ya’ll, this air fried grilled cheese is AMAZING. Tangy sourdough is covered in butter and mayo and stuffed with cheese. You need to make this! By coating your bread in a delicious butter and mayonnaise spread and adding the right melty cheeses, you’ve got an easy dinner that you’ll make again and again!
Ingredients for Grilled Cheese in Air Fryer
As always, here is a quick overview of the ingredients used to make our Air Fryer Grilled Cheese. For the complete recipe, just keep scrolling.
- Butter- salted or unsalted are both fine
- Bread- I used sourdough
- Cheese- I used gouda and havarti
How to make Grilled Cheese in Air Fryer
First, preheat your air fryer to 370 degrees F. While it is preheating, mix together the mayonnaise and butter. Assemble each sandwich with one slice of gouda and one slice of Havarti and spread the outside of the sandwich with the mayonnaise and butter mix.
Place the sandwiches on the air fryer rack or bucket and cook for 5 minutes- it won’t look like your sandwich is browned yet, but I promise, it will! Flip and cook an additional 5 minutes. To avoid your cheese dripping into your air fryer, don’t place your cheese too close to the edge of the bread, just leave a little room.
Can I add meat to this Air Fryer Grilled Cheese?
Mayo or Butter on Grilled Cheese
Okay, I know you’ve heard the hype, and it’s true. You need to be adding mayo to your grilled cheese! Butter provides the best flavor, but it browns too quickly. Mayo takes longer to brown, so when you combine both you really get the best of both worlds! Amazing flavor and a perfectly browned crust!
Best Cheese for Grilled Cheese
For the BEST grilled cheese, you want cheese that melts well. Here are the types I recommend using:
- Brie- no rind and double cream, not triple!
- Part skim, low moisture mozzarella
Here are the cheeses that do not melt very well, and are NOT good for a grilled cheese:
- Sharp cheddar – I love the taste, but it doesn’t get that gooey, stringy melted texture that makes the perfect grilled cheese.
- Fresh mozzarella – There is so much moisture in fresh mozzarella that it leaks out, making the bread soggy and the cheese rubbery.
- Triple cream brie – Weirdly enough, there is such a thing as too melty! Triple cream brie will melt right out of your sandwich and end up in the bottom of your air fryer.
- Parmesan – Parmesan doesn’t get that good melty texture. HOWEVER, grating a tablespoon of parmesan and mixing it into your butter/mayo mixture will have amazing results. You’ll have crispy, buttery edges with that lovely salty parmesan flavor.
Grilled cheese additions
For some extra flavor, try some different combinations in your grilled cheese! Add sliced apple for a crunch or diced jalapeno for some spice. Add bacon for a more savory flavor, or even caramelized onions. And of course, tomatoes are always delicious!
Tips for the best Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
- Don’t overcrowd your basket. Depending on the size of your air fryer and the size of your bread, you may only be able to cook one sandwich at a time, but you may be able to fit two.
- Use the right cheese! I used havarti and gouda for the perfect melted texture.
- You may want to place a toothpick in your grilled cheese before you’ve started cooking to hold it together.
What should I serve with Air Fryer Grilled Cheese?
There are so many great options! Of course, soup is high on the list. Homemade Tomato Soup is practically begging to be paired with this sandwich. Chicken Soup or Broccoli Cheddar Soup are also the perfect companion. White Bean Chicken Chili, Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes or Sweet Potato and White Cheddar Muffins are also great additions to this comfort food.
More Air Fryer recipes
More easy dinner recipes
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons butter (I used salted, unsalted is fine as well)
- 4 pieces sourdough bread
- 2 pieces sliced gouda
- 2 pieces sliced Havarti
- Preheat air fryer to 370 degrees F while you mix together the mayonnaise and butter.
- Assemble each sandwich with one slice of gouda and one slice of Havarti. Spread the outside of the sandwich with the mayonnaise and butter mixture.
- Place the sandwiches on the air fryer rack or bucket and cook for 5 minutes. Flip and cook an additional five minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Serving Size:1 sandwich
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 591Total Fat: 37.5gCholesterol: 91.6mgSodium: 970mgCarbohydrates: 43.9gFiber: 1.4gSugar: 4.7gProtein: 13.3g