This delightful, creamy soup is loaded with browned sausage and vegetables! Try this easy Cheesy Italian Sausage Soup for the ultimate low carb, keto-friendly comfort food!
I’m a sucker for anything resembling Fall. Pumpkins, Halloween, candy corn–You name it, I’m into it. But my favorite thing about this season? All of the delicious soup options!
I’ve been craving something that’s warm, filling, and super satisfying without requiring a lot of clean up, and I came up with this Cheesy Italian Sausage Soup! This easy keto soup is packed with delectable Italian sausage, tomatoes, bell peppers, fire roasted tomatoes and kale, all in a creamy broth. A one pan meal that’s ready in under 30 minutes, this low carb sausage soup is about to become one of your Fall staples!
Ingredients for Cheesy Italian Sausage Soup
As always, this is a quick overview of the ingredients you will need for this soup. To get the complete recipe and instructions just keep scrolling.
- Italian sausage: for this recipe I use ground Italian sausage; you can use a regular, sweet or spicy variety. If you have Italian sausage links, simply remove the casing and brown.
- Vegetables: onions, bell pepper, garlic, kale
- Canned goods: fire roasted tomatoes, tomato paste, and broth.
- Heavy cream
- Cream cheese
How to make Italian Sausage Soup
This is such a simple dish to make. While some soups require a lot of prep work or need to simmer extended periods of time, this soup requires minimal prep and comes together in a pinch!
- In a large dutch oven or stock pot brown the Italian sausage over medium heat, breaking up and crumbling as you go. Drain the grease and add the chopped onion, bell pepper, garlic and sauté about 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the drained fire roasted tomatoes, the tomato paste, and broth. Stir well and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat and stir in the cream cheese and heavy cream. When the cream cheese has dissolved, stir in the chopped kale.
That’s it! Serve with freshly grated parmesan or Romano cheese for the perfect hearty low carb soup!
How to Freeze Italian Sausage Soup
If you are preparing this soup ahead of time, or if your leftovers are a little too much for your fridge, never fear! Freezing and thawing soup is much easier than it sounds.
First, decide what kind of container you would like to freeze your soup in. You can either use freezer bags or plastic freezer safe containers. If you are planning on using the bags, I recommend either fastening them open so you don’t have a spill, or having someone hold the bag open for you. If you are using the plastic containers, just make sure the lids stay on very tight.
This soup uses cream cheese and heavy cream, but these ingredients don’t usually reheat super well after freezing. They can get a bit grainy or separate from the rest of the soup. To fix this, it’s best to freeze this soup BEFORE adding the cream cheese, heavy cream, and kale.
Before placing your soup in your container, be sure that it is cooled to room temperature. Once it has cooled, either scoop into a bag (personally, I double bag soup when I freeze it) or into your tupperware. Remember to give your soup room to expand when it freezes- leave 1-2 inches in your bag or container for this.
One helpful hint is to be sure to label your soup- ‘Keto Italian Sausage Soup’ and the date you froze it. I like to add the measurements and ingredients that need to be added while the soup is reheating, that way anyone in the house can handle reheating.
This soup will stay fresh in the fridge for 3 months. To thaw, place in the fridge for 1-2 days or place in a large bowl of warm water. Warm in a saucepan over medium heat, then add your cream cheese and heavy cream. Once the soup is bubbly and warm enough, stir in your kale and enjoy!
Tips for the best Keto Sausage Soup
- Make this soup ahead of time! This easy keto soup is very easy to make ahead and will keep well in the fridge. This soup will stay fresh for 3-4 days and reheats easily!
- Allow your cream cheese to come to room temperature before adding to the soup. This just helps it dissolve and blend into the soup easier.
- Change the meat! If you’re looking for more spice, try Hot Sausage instead!
- Add some garnish–I love fresh parsley and some Parmesan on top of this soup.
Keto Breads for Soup
Being keto does not mean giving up bread! Besides, bread and soup go together like peanut butter and jelly! These breads would all be delicious served with this Cheesy Italian Sausage Soup
Other Low Carb Soup Recipes
- Instant Pot Pizza Soup (low carb + keto)
- Bacon Cheeseburger Soup (low carb + keto)
- Keto Cabbage and Beef Soup (Instant Pot or Slow Cooker)
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Soup (keto + low carb)
- 2 pounds ground Italian sausage
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes, drained
- 1 (7 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (32 ounce) carton beef broth
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened and cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups kale, stems removed and finely chopped
- 1 cup shredded parmesan
- Heat a large stock pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Brown the Italian sausage, breaking it up as you go. Grain off any grease.
- Add the garlic, peppers and onion. Saute 4-5 minutes until softened.
- Add the drained fire roasted tomatoes, tomato paste, and broth.
- Stir in the cream cheese and heavy cream. Reduce the heat to medium low and stir until the cream cheese is completely incorporated.
- Stir in the kale and allow the soup to simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Stir in the parmesan just before serving.
Serving Size:About 1 1/2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 392Total Fat: 31gCholesterol: 84mgSodium: 1100mgCarbohydrates: 11gNet Carbohydrates: 8.4gFiber: 2.6gSugar: 6.1gProtein: 16.8g